Surestop

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dexterwolf, May 22, 2015.

1. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I am looking at getting a Surestop installed. As my stop tap is located behind the washing machine and so my partner can turn water off if there is a problem. What would the cost be for part and installation.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I know of two persons who got flooded out, when their Surestop failed in their hour of need.

3. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I suppose it is that peace of mind knowing my partner can at least stop the water. She wouldn't be able to move the washer on her own so at least it is something to try and stop water.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have fitted 3 remote sure stop taps. One in my house which has been in since 2012, no problems so far and very easy to fit. My local council is fitting these to their properties, this is where I seen the first fitted.

Fingers crossed that they don't fail x, the instructions do mention to keep the existing stop tap though.

5. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

Thanks for that Jit I am getting someone in to fit it and will say to keep the original stop tap as well.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Like Kiab dont trust them an inch, known one to fail when it was needed. Nothing can replace the manual stopcock IMHO

7. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I used one for the first time last week (to save me getting all the rubbish out from under the sink that gets put in front of the stop tap) and it did work.
    Good idea or £££££s making gimmick (the plumbing trades history is full of those)?
    Only time will tell !
    Tappy,

PS I have been called to surging water supplies and found nothing amiss upon my visit. However, both these properties had a Surestop fitted.................

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And also get them to relocate stop cock to a more accessible location.

9. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

kiab I don't know how they could do this as that the pipe just comes through the floor and the tap is 4 inches up that pipe. Might be an easy job for someone that knows how but from the looks of it I can't see how it could be relocated.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is always a solution to a problem!o_O

It just requires a little thought sometimes.:D

11. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I thought a solution to be able to turn the water off for my partner would be the surestop

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always have a back up plan.:D

13. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Sure stops are notorious for leaking or not shutting the water off when you actually need it, I went to one that had flooded a utility room.:(
    Problems will come to you without buying them.;)

14. Hi Dexter.

Where would the SureStop device be fitted - also behind the washing machine? And where does that rising main pipe then go?

Just wondering if - since you are already getting a plumber out to do this - there's any mileage in looking at the possibility of checking the viability of exploring the potential of diverting that rising main pipe after the existing stopcock and 'looping' it in to the adjacent unit where an additional manual stopcock can be fitted (along with a SureStop if you wish)?

In fact, make that second stopcock a full-bore lever valve and you'll be able to turn off the water in a nano-second. But still also have the SureStop if you really want. You can never have too many 'cocks.

The 'old' stopcock can then simply be left open and forgotten about. If you need to turn off the rising main at any time you now chust reach in to that next base unit for the lever - or flick the SureStop switch.