Surewire JB's

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Anyone used these before?

I have to say they look the dogs do dahs. In fact, I've got a mini re-wire coming up. I'm gonna give them a try!

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Never used them.
    Seem to be wago units.
    They do comply with BS EN 60670-22 but dont seem to be dual marked BS 5733 and
    BS EN 60670-22.
    RS

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I think they are over complicating things.

If they had a single joint box, just one product, and it could be used to serve the purpose of all of their individual boxes, by the addition of multiple terminals or possibly removeable/selectable links etc, then it would make more sense. For example, every cable entry having L, SW1, SW2, SW3, N, E, and you choosing if to use L and N for feed, L and SW1 for switch 1, and SW1 and N for light 1. Any entry could then be used for any purpose.

You then only need one product, not several. It would encourage people to keep them in stock, and you don't have to "plan" ahead.

In saying all this, if you're re-wiring, I would hate to see these used. I still prefer to be able to access all joints!

leesparkykent likes this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

There should be very little need to use joint boxes at all on a re-wire.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Exactly, everything should be behind a switch or light fitting.

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I have come across things similar to this from about 30 years ago, black steel box in the loft with a strip of connectors inside that has every light and switch wired to it on that floor, absolute ball ache to find the correct pair when you need to alter it in any way.

I think the idea is to be able to do as many connections on first fix as possible. we have all been there though, long day and you say **** it I'll wire that box next time, you then end up in a boiling loft with your head stuck in the insulation trying to wire it with nothing but a head torch that keeps flickering, cursing why you didn't loop in at the switches.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'd happily use them as I use this exact method now and then, and an 'acme' solution like this would be nice to use.
    I wired a listed building being fully renovated using this method last summer.

A JB at each end of the house on each floor (long house). Each JB behind an inspection hatch. Labelled inside each lid of each box.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well the jobs done and I have to say it worked out really well. It's so useful just being able to run a single wire to the switch and light rather than the loop in. Perfect for the attic, maybe not so good for the ground floor though
    IMG_20150711_212840.jpg

9. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the conventional way :)

10. peter palmer

What a crock of ****, tried one today re-wiring the top floor attic rooms of an old house. Couldn't really do loop in at the light without long runs as the switch wires had to go down to minimise the mess.

These really are a bad product, the cable clamps are fiddly with poor quality screws, the "wagos" are flimsy and awkward to get the wires into, the writing on it is almost impossible to read - why do they persist in doing the embossed writing on accesories in the same colour as the plastic- and half the writing is upside down on it.

No its all done the permanent live in the switch is the blue and not the brown of the T&E.

Might be an ok product to wire up on a bench in a workshop but not in a dull dirty loft when it 30 degrees on a Friday afternoon. *****.

11. Beefstu

Beefstu Member

Do not see the point of them myself waste of time and money i bet.

12. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

would seem to be a poor mans lcm. also those connectors are basically a wago so why not just have an adaptable box and use wagos. or conventional wiring or on larger jobs lcms

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I must admit I generally did not really have any problems with it. A couple of the earths didn't connect properly after testing but that was fixed pretty easy. Been living with it over a year now and so far it's not burnt the house down or given me an electric shock so it's ok in my book.

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

This is how they used to do it:

[​IMG]

15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I've a job coming up where I'm likely to be using a few of these: Multi-level house with several types of lighting in each room/area. This solution makes sense.

I'd like it if they used the white Wagos instead of the greys: ie the ability to have two cables cores terminated at each point instead of one.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Knock yerself oout. Also should add you do need quite a "neat hand" to wire these up nice. I can sew a seam straighter than the Mrs so it aint no prob for me o_O:cool::)

17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I have often straightened the wifes "seams"...but that's another matter...lol
    RS

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is the interconnections that you cannot see, hidden down the centre, that make it useful!

Beefstu likes this.
  19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Don't look very good to me tbqh. I cant see what they are really used for..what's wrong with conventional loop in box - or rose if you must?

20. peter palmer

Well the problem I had was the atic rooms that we were re-wiring had very high steep ceilings with just a 4" flat across the apex of the roof, so no access above, if we looped in at the rose it would mean 3 cables all fished down the ceiling, ran in the eaves and back up at the next rose. If I took the switch wire up then it would have been a long chase to the ceiling and then some damage to the ceiling to get the switch wire to the rose.

It was far more simple to do a short chase down from the switch and through the joists to the eaves, then just the one cable from the rose fished down the ceiling to the eaves, there were 3 rooms to do like this and all the cables met up at the central point in the eaves space. Just one power cable was needed to the box and there is a spare way on it for a light in the eaves.

Dont get me wrong for situations like this the idea was great, its just that the quality of it was naff.