Surface preparation

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StevesST220, Sep 16, 2015.

1. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Evening all.
    Quick query regarding customers box room:
    Hasn't been decorated for many years, I started prep today. 1930s house, semi detatched, double glazed and centrally heated.
    Wall area below picture rail is all sound and will be covered with a paintable wallpaper. Problem area is above the picture rail - ceiling and exterior wall area have 2 or 3 layers of paper plus a layer of polystyrene 'paper' on top of that. I have started stripping above picture rail and have discovered some patches have black mould (not much though). I intend to finish this part of the room with a textured paint finish as ceiling/exterior walls have barrelled-curved 'joints'. Think polystyrene was for insulation only.
    What is the best product to wash away the mould?
    Should I then use Bulls Eye 123 before applying the textured finish?

Thank you

2. DecDir

DecDir New Member

Wash Down with 10% household bleach to warm water mix to remove all visible mould. Leave wall wet for 10 minutes to burst cell walls of any remaining spores. Then rinse with clean water and allow to dry.

We would forget the textured paint. As this sounds like a corner box room, it's only going to suffer from condensation on these cold walls, and the textured surface will hold the moisture and dust/dirt. We would just paint the surface with Zinsser Perma White (in your chosen colour/finish), it's an anti-mould finish which will prevent spores which land on it's exposed surface from germinating. There is no need for a separate primer like Bulls Eye 123.

Otherwise if you insist, go on with your textured paint, then overcoat it with the Perma White as the final finish.