Surplus Roof Truss Cross Bracing ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by idharper, Apr 2, 2013.

1. idharper

idharper New Member

We have just bought a new build and the garage has a pitched roof, there is diagonal cross bracing of the main rafters and longitudinal bracing across the trusses as I would expect, however there is also some diagonal bracing of the bottom chords in additon to the longitudinal bracing, are these temporary ones that are used to prefab the roof and lift it with a crane in one go ? if so can they be removed and/or replaced with longitudinal bracing nearer the eaves.

The reason I am asking is I am building a floored area just below the trusses in order to store junk (but not using the trusses for any load) and the diaganols are in the way.

Thanks

Ian

2. Think its hard for someone on here to answer that without seeing it, you might wanna get a structural engineer in before you start chopping out random bits of wood.

3. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    not sure of this one, the diagonal bracing on the bottom chords isn't normal as such, and i would be surprised if the roof was lifted in one go, (cost of crane for a garage?) i'm guessing that they may have been fitted because of personal preference of the carpenter, or building inspector in your area but if its a normal trussed roof then perhaps if you brace at the eaves then remove you should be ok, but as leicester says hard to really tell without seeing it
    have fun!

4. scotterillo

scotterillo New Member

I realise I'm a year later but the extra bracing you mention are diagonal ceiling bracings which are part of the roof construction. So don't remove them.