surrounded by the stupid and selfish

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by philthespark, Jan 3, 2017.

1. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

OK, here we go, went out for a drink with my daughter just before Christmas, as usual she's moaning about money, this time her car needs a read doing on the engine management system and it's going to cost 40 quid. I tell her I've just invested in a reader on a laptop and will do it for nothing, she doesn't take up the offer, I run over on Christmas eve with presents for her, her husband and the kids, I don't even get a thank you, never mind any cards or presents in return! No phonecalls or texts on Christmas day, nothing. Then on Boxing day she texts asking if I'm taking them out for their wedding anniversary! Some chance.
    I worked all over the holiday on maintenance and my DIL rings up to say the car needs a new battery, I offer to get one from the place I use as I get a good discount, she says she can get one from a place she knows but they don't know what type! I end up contacting my supplier and finding out the type and price, before she's rung her people she tells me they can get it cheaper than I can, work that on out if you can. Anyway after me doing all the work, she buys a battery from her mates place, using the info that I gave her, then puts a thank you post on FB saying how great they are! I've run myself ragged for her over the last year and got sod all for it. New years resolution is to stop helping ingrates and help myself more, I can't wait for the next person to ask me for a favour.

2. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi Phil - could I borrow your reader for a few days?

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The yoof of today (millennials) and their sense of entitlement eh.

4. And yet and yet - the yoof of today are becoming more responsible, with fewer under-age or unwanted pregnancies, less crime, less drug use...

Phil the S - you are more than being taken for granted; your dil seems to think you running around at her beck and call is he right.

The answer is in your hands.

philthespark and KIAB like this.
  5. sandeebee

sandeebee New Member

Phil, u r well and truly being taken for a mug (I know the feeling well). Time for some straight talking no relationship should b one sided. I know parents are there to help but there should be mutual respect. be prepared for some sulking tho. good luck x

philthespark likes this.
  6. Dont let 1 persons selfishness stop you being the good person.

Recognise its 1 person thats causing the issue and restrict your exposure to that position.

Karma, what goes around, comes around. You are the better person

philthespark likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

My mates two grown up daughters really take the P. They bleed him dry. Problem is that his wife backs them up all the time!

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Treble taking the p hiss.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Dunno what papers you been reading....Beano? Bunty?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Kids hey, who'd av'em. Phil...just say NO.

B J

philthespark likes this.
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just as a clue it isn't the Mail and it may be a paper that isn't based in Bemuda, It may pay UK tax and it has never supported Oswald Moseley or indeed Hitler.
    Just guessing like. :p:p:p

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It is the Beano then!

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Drug use?? Really.

According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales 2011/12, the highest levers of recent drug use was reported by the 16-24 year age group.Most young people moderate or completely stop using illegal drugs and moderate their alcohol use by their mid to late 20s when they ‘settle down’ and take on adult responsibilities. A small, but significant, number of people continue to use illegal drugs, and particularly cannabis, into their 30s. Many of these people are parents

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Where do you get these statistics from?
    I'm not saying your wrong, but a source would be appreciated.
    Not uap, or tp mind you, just the other stuff.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I may be missing the point here Phil, but why are you the first port of call rather than their husbands? Next time the phone goes, just say no, I'm afraid not. And watch the film Gran Torino for inspiration in how to treat ungrateful selfish offspring. Best of luck.

16. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Umm... yes. Did you actually read those surveys? Young people are the most likely to take drugs. Sure, 'twas ever thus. Nothing new there.

But the trend is down. Young people today are less druggy than they were in the past. Young people are becoming more boring - oops, I mean sensible and responsible.

Thankfully old 'uns are trying to do our bit to stop the decline and have increased drug use to compensate. Putting the e back into elderly. Puts a whole new twist on the expression "gone to seed".

So: Young people - still wild, but quite a lot less wild than they were.

Source CSEW 14/15

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/462885/drug-misuse-1415.pdf

"
    Between the 1996 and 2014/15 surveys, last year use of any illicit drug fell. This was largely due to the declines in illicit drug use among 16 to 24 year olds, and to a lesser extent, 25 to 29 year olds. (as shown in Figure 3.1). Over the same period, there have been increases in any drug use among older drug users, with last year use of any illicit drug among 55 to 59 year olds increasing from 1.0 per cent in the 1996 survey, to 2.4 per cent in the 2014/15 survey. The increase in any illicit drug use among 55 to 59 year olds has primarily been driven by increases in the use of cannabis, although use of all types of drugs among this age group is still low compared with younger age groups (Table 3.04).
    "

Catch you later - I have to cut the grass (ahem).

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Nowt to do with de-restricting a certain drug then.

A bit like the crime figures, remove certain crimes from figures, makes figures look better.

figure1_tcm77-430655.png

Any how, haven't got grass to cut, got Astor turf. ;);)

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No, I think the Beano pays all UK taxes and isn't run by a tax dodging facist supporter.

19. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

That survey was usage, not crime, so not really.

In fact, it would be argued that making something not a crime would increase the chance that someone would report that they did it, not decrease it (which may explain why old people are reporting more usage).

Personally, I blame mobile phones and Pokemon go. Kids today eh? When I were a lad if I wanted to see little yellow monsters I'd need a plastic bag and a tin of impact adhesive.

Doall and longboat like this.
  20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The inherant problem is that drug use statistics (and many others) are formulated on the basis of a survey.
    When someone is asked a question for the purpose of someone else ticking a box, the response can be a truthful reply or a complete fabricated one, depending on what sort of mood the individual is in at the time.
    The figures are then massaged to portray whatever result the commissioners of said report want to hear (or at least the one's official published).
    The statistics say you should never believe statistics, after all!