swearing on Oath,

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by tom.plum, Apr 11, 2015.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Is't it time this was done away with, the courts depend on evidence to form a just decision so they rely on people not telling lies, Would the threat of " you know your under oath" make a difference to you, I know it would't to me,I'd tell a lie to get out of trouble and stay free as many do, So this need replacing,but what with?
    I'd say if you told lies in court you donate a body part to a deserving patient who needs an eye,or leg and the more serious the charge the bigger the part, so for a muder case you would have to donate a heart or liver that would work I think,o_O

2. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

No matter what, I would never ever lie under oath, as i was always brought up to tell the truth no matter what, & if yoo lie you get bigger punishment

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The problem is WD1 is that the other person could be lying through their teeth.

4. Welshdragon1

All the more reason to stick to the truth ;) ;)

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Good luck in court.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I'm with WD40-39, I've always been brought up to tell the truth, it comes out eventually anyway, as I've found out from my kids past, now that wifey has told me!!!.
    Sorry but to lie in court brings you down to scum level Imho.
    The truth will come out, just look at 'home and away' , lol.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  7. Welshdragon1

They only need to look at politician's for perfect examples IMHO

8. If you mean, Tom, the "almighty gawd..." bit, then - yes - I agree completely.

Instead, it should be a simple reminder of the reasons why only the truth is moral AND a reminder of the penalty for perjury in court. And that should be severe. Very.

Judges and juries are not stupid. Just like you would be able to get a pretty good idea of who's account smacks of the truth, so do they.

Take Ry's example of the car 'crash'. You really reckon the jury couldn't work that out?

BUT, Ry would rather get his lies in first.

Bludy hell.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  9. Unfair. There are a lot - the majority - of very decent, moral and ethical politicians.

Don't judge them all by the few who get exposed.

It's a bit like saying all humans are scum - based on Ry's morals...

10. Welshdragon1

I see your point & will amend the wording :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I think the oath could be changed to suit those of us who consider religion to be something of a fairy tale. Still putting the onus on witnesses to tell the truth, and still attracting penalties for those who do commit perjury and are found out later. ;);)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes Mr Devs, I meant the ' almighty gawd' , you and I and every level heraded person in the planet knows its a fairy story, So why are realy serious court cases relying that a criminal will spill the beans cos its on the oath??? beggers believe to me :confused:

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Never mind Tomp,,, our great, great grandkids will be swearing "By Allah." ;););)

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  14. Welshdragon1

IMHO

Jesus / Bible etc, was the earliest form of government scritpures

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No jury involved. Insurers settled out of court.

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I think our great great grandkids will be swearing a lot more than we do, have you seen that ice bucket challange on facecloth with a 2 year old,:eek:, absolutly disgusting, she's not learned that in church, so if thats the rode things are going I'm glad to go and feed the worms,
    and WD 1, the bible was the very first jackanory book, :)

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  17. Welshdragon1

I would never like to count how many times it contradicts itself :)

18. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Lie, cheat, scam, walk over people, rob, thieve its a fact if you do all of these things you will get on in life :( . Sadly that's why I never got anywhere :(

Gatt and Welshdragon1 like this.
  19. Welshdragon1

D.I.T.T.O

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Amen to that and D.I.T.T.O here too.
    That's why I drive a van and can't afford a car.

God works in mysterious ways.