Swirl Thermostatic Mixer Shower (B30020)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hellohello, Mar 15, 2009.

1. hellohello

hellohello New Member

2. imran_

imran_ New Member

Gravity fed hot water and mains fed cold water perhaps???

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Bad plumbing - almost certainly. How is it plumbed in?

4. hellohello

hellohello New Member

Tts coming off Combi boiler (Potterton). Hot and cold connection taken from the bathroom basins hot and cold pipes.

Its either extremely cold or extremly hot. Anything extra the plumber should have done? I think he used 15mm pipes and t joint - I just remember them when he bought them from the shop

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

How old is the combi? Is it a fully modulating boiler?

6. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

could be the hot and cold the wrong way round.

7. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

...er yes:O

Check the basics first!

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

It should be hot on the left, cold on the right as you look at the valve on the wall, run it and feel the inlet pipes. If the pipework is wrong take it off and re-fit it upside down until you can alter the pipework!

9. hellohello

hellohello New Member

Hiya, the Combi boiler is about 6 years old. Its Potterton Performa 24 - dont know anything else about it but I had it serviced/flushed a month ago. The normal mixer in the kitchen sink works fine.

Someone else said the cold and hot pipes could be other way around. As you face the mixer on the wall, I think the COLD pipe is on the left (behind the blue on and off mixer handle/knob) and the HOT pipe is on the right (behind the red thermostatic control handle/knob). I thought this made sense so is this wrong way around for definite, anyone else has the same model?

10. hellohello

hellohello New Member

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

That is the wrong way round!

The red button is a temp override button, nothing to do with a HOT end! :O

The grey button is a volume override button, nothing to do with a COLD end! :O

Don't people read the instructions anymore!

HOT on the left, COLD on the right!..and it will work fine!

12. hellohello

hellohello New Member

Really? Are you 100% sure, do you have the same Swirl shower moxer? Im just about to ring the plumber and get it to connect it the other way around

13. Guest

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

14. hellohello

hellohello New Member

In that case I will get the plumber in again

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

ALL showers are fitted h/l & c/r.

This is basic plumbing.

Any plumber who does not know that is NOT a plumber!

16. palatine

palatine New Member

Anyone can have a bad day, but can't excuse not testing.

17. hellohello

hellohello New Member

Very true and I thought the thermostat was faulty

18. hellohello

hellohello New Member

With the pipes on the wrong way around, could it have damaged the unit or the valves inside the mixer?

19. GKU

GKU New Member

Listen me old mate , whatever your plumber???? or anyone else is telling you , the info you have been given on here is CORRECT - as you face the unit on the wall , <u>HOT on the LEFT</u> and <u>COLD on the RIGHT</u> the other way round will (and is) give you problems , this is <u>VERY basic</u> plumbing and either your plumber has had a bad day for some reason or he ain't a plumber , no arguments . And no , with a bit of luck your unit <u>should</u> be ok still :)

20. GKU

GKU New Member

Having said that , I can see (looking at the pic) how a mix up could have been made if the instructions were'nt read properly (or if at all) , those buttons on it don't mean hot & cold :(