Switch operated isolation valves

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by CGN, Dec 15, 2016.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hi you lot :)

Need a possible solution to remotely isolating hot and cold water feed to a wet room. Switch outside.

Have checked out the Surestop jobbies...they will do hot(up to 60 degrees) but I'm not confident in their reliability long term due to the valve/switch arrangement, and the little pipe/cable to the switch not being accessible for maintenance once fitted. Would also have to extend this as the supplied 2m would be pushing it. I know they do an extension, but I'm thinking its adding a potential weak link to the chain!

Any thoughts? :)

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dot and Dab switch? lol :p

CGN likes this.
  3. KIAB and CGN like this.
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I would probably use a solenoid valve, such as what Deleted member 11267 linked.

Thinking solenoid valves would work well on hot, considering they were used on washing machines for years when they had a hot feed.

KIAB and CGN like this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks guys, will take a proper look later :)

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Attached Files:

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

CGN likes this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

So when are you taking the push-fit joints off to solder? :p:p

CGN and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

'Ditto'

DO NOT like push fittings I'm afraid, has to be proper soldered joints.

CGN and Joe95 like this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Knew that was gonna come up so let me educate you Luddites :D

I always use copper and EF where possible, however, there are times where PF excels. The valves themselves have PF connections...have to work with that, but the feed into them, via full bore isolators are teed off the feeds from the boiler...all in copper and soldered. After the valves...yes PF tees...could have soldered, but, but, if the valves stop working, it makes it easier to insert bypass links while new ones are sourced...just a case of space. What you can see, is the feed to the shower, again via full bore isolator. The pipes disappearing down, are the hot and cold to the was basin and toilet. Pex is perfect for running through stud work, especially when you have to avoid a few obstacles along the way. Always convert to copper where visible...so there :p[/QUOTE]

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Well you did use full bore valves, so you redeem yourself:p.

KIAB likes this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Thanks Joe...was starting to feel guilty! :D

KIAB and Joe95 like this.