Switch surround tidy up ...

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by enc, Aug 22, 2016.

1. enc

enc Active Member

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A bit of advice and I assume you will have turned off power.

When doing this and leaving the wires unconnected, put a piece of insulating tape or choc-blok on them. If the switched live accidentally touches the metal back box you create a circuit from neutral, through the lamp and down to earth. Not a hazard as such, however, it can cause an RCD to trip out - not every time but it can happen.

Also, where is the sleeving to indicate that the back wire is live or switched live?

tore81 likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And the switch ain't straight!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Grommet fited to back box would have been nice as well !!

Seem to be rarer than hens teeth on a lot of installs

Decorating looks fine - well done OP
    Just please line up those screw heads - either both vertical or horizontal will do but please, line em up ..... One of my OCD pet hates :eek:

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It has got a grommet ... look closely.

As for OCD pet hates, one of mine is people who do not create an ellipsis correctly - there are just three dots!

6. enc

enc Active Member

... Yes power was off in fuse box ... Im not responsible for original wiring .. I'll maybe fit a sleeve when I fit the new switch ;-)

Hadn't realised it wasn't straight Hahaaa!! But now look closely you are quite correct. The switch is being replaced with a stainless steel one so it'll be coming off again soon.

As to the screw heads not lining up ... Do me a favour :confused: Hahaa!!

7. Tee-hee - everyone's a critic :)

Er, is that a less-than-perfect finish to the plaster to the right of the switch...? :rolleyes:

There's a sparky around here who's 'trade mark' is to leave one screw slot vertical and one horizontal. Yes, he is an a***...

(PS - when you fit the SS switchplate, be sure to take an earth wire from the back box to the one provided on the new switch. Or the folks on here will take you apart... :oops: )

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmmm

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Can you fit a Wallace there with the Gromit?