Switching from electric to gas hob on Island

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Shirmardi, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Shirmardi

Shirmardi New Member

Hello,
    I'm soon to be moving in to my first home. The current owners have recently redid the kitchen and installed an island with an induction hob. I much prefer gas. I don't suspect that there will be gas supply to the island.
    So I have a couple of questions, if one or all could be answered, I'd appreciate any input.

What work would need to be done in this instance? would a channel need to be dug up in the floor to feed a gas pie to the island?

On a similar note, I have a fridge that needs to be plumbed in a similar situation, would a channel be dug for a water pipe?

Roughly what would a hob installation cost for this sort of job?/What would it cost to get the fridge plumbed in with no immediate access to the water pipes across the room?

Thank you.

This is the best drawing I could do of the setup. It's almost all to scale.
    kitchen setup.jpg
    kitchen setup2.jpg

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There may be a service duct with a cable in for the existing hob that you may be able to utilise, to save digging up the floor, or at least some of it. Is there any gas feed into the kitchen that could be tapped off?
    Same with the water for your fridge. Where are the nearest pipes? Can you utilise the void behind/under base units to hide a pipe or any stud walls etc, feed from above etc?

3. Shirmardi

Shirmardi New Member

I'll have to wait for a response from the owners in regards to there being an existing service duct. It seems to be hit or miss with them responding to my queries.

There is a gas supply to the kitchen, just not to the island.

The nearest water pipe to the fridge would be the sink. The fridge is not up against a stud wall. The fridge lives in isolation to one side of the room, to the left is the sitting room, and to the right a conservatory. The wall behind it leads outside.

4. Personally I wouldn't rush to change induction hob to gas.

Try it first. See how you get on with it rather than planning on how to change it.

And for the fridge, the voids behind the units makes the most sense to use if possible.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would have a Induction hob every time over a gas hob, there are a few benefits for induction, they are cheap to run,energy-efficient,quick to heat the pan, not the heating surface, so that is only warm to the touch.
    But, you do need pans recommended for an induction hob.

Give the induction hob a fair trial, I think you'll be impressed with it, just takes a while to adapt to it.

6. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

As Kiab says try the induction. We were in a similar dilemma when we moved in- there is a gas fuelled aga but the room gets too hot in the summer so we needed another hob. Over the opposite side of the kitchen they had a ceramic hob (useless). We wanted to extend the gas for a new gas hob but it would be a nightmare to plumb in.

We looked at and have gone with induction and honestly wouldn't go back! The new induction hobs are in a completely different league to what they were when they first came out.

They heat water hotter than gas does and offer similar levels of control turning up and down the heat.
    Also if you have kids they are safer. Not only does the surface not get as hot, they often have childlocks. As soon as you lift the pan off, they go off and resume where you left off when the pan is put back. Many also have "bridge" functions where several rings or indeed a whole side heat the pan/dish- good for roasting trays to make gravy.

They are really clever bits of kit. Big rings will only heat the part that is in contact with the pan (assuming a smaller pan is used on a larger hob)- the rest of the ring is cold.

The only downside is potentially needing new pans. But you could check your own- if a magnet sticks to it your golden.

7. Shirmardi

Shirmardi New Member

Thing is, my wife is Chinese and cooks with a Wok all the time, I know there are some woks with a flatter base, but there is constant tossing around and lifting the pan off the surface whilst cooking

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a induction hob is no good with a wok.

Can always put hob on Ebay.

9. Probably the only reason to go to gas.

So back to what cgn says

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Probably easier to change your wife than change the hob.

11. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Second thoughts, a Chinese wife that cooks.

Change the hob!!!!!!!

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plan B: Keep induction hob & put seperate wok burner like a Neff N24K35NO, it's just a single gas burner designed for a wok, there are two burner versions available.

[​IMG]

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  13. masterdiy

You mean a 2 wok hob?

Thats for Owls.

Its two- wok- to- wooh

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Why do owls never go courting in the rain???
    Because it’s too wet to woo!

15. Shirmardi

Shirmardi New Member

I'd still have the same problem of getting gas to the island.

16. masterdiy

Calor Gas bottle in under Island cupboard. Hose to Hob.

Job Done. Simples.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can get induction hobs that have an induction well for woks - this heats up both base and sides of work which is essential for authentic wok cooking (as your wife will know) :)

Several models that combine 1 wok well with regular induction pads or go for a domino system with modular induction units, 1 being a wok cooker

As mentioned above, induction hobs are in a league of their own and whilst many people dislike electric as a cooking source, induction cooking is superior on all counts and the benefits are outstanding

We use a flat bottom wok at home on a neff 5 spot induction hob and it's simply superb. It's a heavy base wok so distributes heat evenly unlike a thin carbon steel wok

If you've not used induction before, it may take a little time to get used to it but, as humans, we can sometimes be a little against change
    One of the biggest advantages is the ease of cleaning as you just have a sheet of glass to wipe over, with no burnt on food. It's brilliant as your cooking to quickly lift up the pan and give the hob a wipe over and resume cooking as the pan is put back again

You can impress your friends by boiling a pan of water with a newspaper between hob and pan and the water still boils and no burnt paper ! ;)