SWR into wiska box

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Can I gland a 6mm 3 core SWR into an internal wiska box located in a cupboard next to the CU then T & E to the CU to provide an external supply to an out building? Cheers!

2. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

sorry SWA!

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Galvanised mounting plates available, srew cover, high lid assures a big inner volume for industrial applications, high-resistant soft rubber inner
    gasket, internal guide to fix the DIN rail EN 50022, brass terminal blocks or back plate.
    Contact Wispa.
    RS

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

As long as the gland has a 20mm thread, then yes you can. I have done this successfully several times. Gland the SWA as normal and then screw the Wiska box on to the gland and it will push out the diaphragm. If you want to earth the armour bend the banjo tab to 45 degrees and secure it on the gland inside the Wiska box with the nut and use a short bolt and nut on the banjo tab to secure an earth lug. Else just leave it at that. Doing it on the inside like this maintains the IP rating of the Wiska box.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Really to prevent creep of the plastic you should sandwich it between two locknuts. Incidentally, why would you not want to earth the armour?

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Or use a plastic adaptable box with an earthing nut at the supply end, you won't need an IP rated box if it's in the cupboard next to the c/unit.

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Does enough of the thread poke through a wiska box to get a banjo and a nut on, agreed I would be entirely happy tightening down onto plastic to make a sound earth connection. Surely a galv through box is a better bet, cheaper too.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No there won't be enough thread available with a Wiska box Peter.

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

That should have been "wouldn't be entirely happy about tightening down onto plastic".

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Sen, take a look at the wiska site.
    Rs

11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Use a metal adaptable box ?

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The whisker box earth clamps are not even threaded are they? Seems silly relying on a small screw, but hey.

[​IMG]

I prefer to use plain Gewiss or similar boxes and earthing piranha nuts. The nut is threaded and replaces the cheap galv one supplied with the gland.

[​IMG]

13. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Cheers everyone - pics are really helpful - must go shopping!