Symmetrical Tiling or not Around a Window?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by _Mark_F_, May 17, 2017.

1. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Hi All,

I am tiling my bathroom with 600mm x 300mm tiles horizontally and the wall space for tiles is 1700mm x 1700mm approx with a window of 700mm high x 590mm wide, for my starting point before continuing the rest of the room

I usually adopt a symmetrical pattern on each wall especially where I can around the windows, rather than just starting at one end and ending up with odd slivers at the other end.

In this case, I cannot achieve it easily as a symmetric tile around the window will result in a small tile at the left edge which I think will look odd.

Can you please advise A or B (or an even better option)? Thanks in advance!

I have attached my 2 options as pics. A) being the symmetrical window look and B) being the slight offset tiling around the window, but with no small tile at left edge.

Cheers,

Mark. A) Symmetrical but with small tile.jpg B) Not symmetrical but with no small tile.jpg

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Probably (A) but its personal preference. I wouldn't worry so much about having tiles symmetrical around the window but its nice if you can. What's more important to me is having the tiles lined up with the centre of the bath/basin, or taps, or anything that is clearly "central" or stands out as a feature. As you mentioned, there are compromises since you don't want to end up with slithers, also the extent to which everything needs to be lined up also depends on whether the tiles/grout match or not. While tiles with white grout won't show up misalignment much at all.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Agree with Dr Bodgit, the most noticeable feature that your eye is drawn to is the window or hand basin when you walk in, not the corner.

4. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Thanks both. After reading your detailed replies I am inclined to agree with your choice of A. The tiles are a light grey stone effect with white flecks (looking nicer than they sound!) so am opting for a white or light grey grout rather than making the grout lines a feature with a darker colour.
    In fact the window is the most obvious feature when entering the bathroom so does make sense to ensure that is symmetrical.

Thanks again!

Mark.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Might seem obvious but what about flipping the tile the other way? Or if your walls are pretty flat tiling brick fashion maybe, I personally prefer the second option, your eye isn't drawn to a sliver then.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'd prob go with a full tile centred(half/half) on centre line of wall.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

B look a lot better plus there is less cuts, smaller pieces.

Not sure about the coving in the bathroom though!

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I would go with 'b' so you don't have the slither of tile on the left. Looking at the drawing I can't tell, but would it not be possible to start with a full tile from the bath? Will leave you with a bigger tile at floor and ceiling too?
    If it's a standard bath height, you're going to be left with a tiny slither along the floor by the looks of it.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Would also loose the vertical symmetry to avoid smallish rips top and bottom.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Start with a full tile here...... B) Not symmetrical but with no small tile.jpg

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May be able to put in decorative border in the center, something like this.

bATHROOM copy.jpg

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's so last decade...

13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

CGN likes this.
  14. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Move the window.

15. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Thanks for all your replies!

Jord: yes a good idea to flip but doesn't look right after testing that. Tiling brick fashion on these 600mm tiles will create a bit of lippage as the platerboarded walls are bowing slightly around unlevel metal studwork and will take time to get right.
    Jitender: the coving has also been done in the ensuite with tiling and looks fine (in my humble opinion); it has been coved more proud than usual to allow for the depth of the tile too.
    Longboat/CGN. Totally agree I will amend the vertical height to ensure there is a full tile from the bath and no small tiles at ceiling or floor.
    HandyAndy: Unfortunately the tile is longer than the sill so will end up with slivers either side of the window going up if that makes sense.
    MasterDiy: Haha, gets a bit complicated!

Probably B now or even full tile centred as CGN as suggested.

Decisions decisions...

Cheers!

Mark.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

One thing that springs to mind is to check the square metre weight of your tiles compared to what the plasterboard walls can take. From memory I think 25kilos a metre is the limit depending on thickness of plasterboard but I could well be wrong, but doesn't hurt to check anyways.

17. _Mark_F_

_Mark_F_ Member

Thanks Jord, yes I had checked. Wickes recommend a max of 20Kg of tile per square metre on 12.5mm plasterboard. I checked mine this morning and they are 17Kg per square metre. I have also attached new plasterboard with plenty of dry wall screws as the original tiles came off with the plasterboard as they were surprisingly well adhered!

Cheers,

Mark.