Syphon problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by chippie244, Jun 23, 2014.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My close coupled cistern has developed a problem where it releases water almost continuously and sort of flushes every few seconds, shall I just replace the syphon or is it fixable?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its probley the inlet valve not shutting off and allowing the access water to escape throu the internal over flow, post a pic of the cistern and I'll see what type it is,

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Attached Files:

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I reckon it needs Tomp's infamous "multimeter treatment." ;);)

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're probably right, I had to change a low level cistern today and the whole lot cost less than £40, I was just hoping against hope that I wasn't going to spend any more time squatting in a toilet mopping up water.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hi chippy, thats a siamp syphon, twist it from the top a quarter turn and it all comes out, no need to strip the toilet,
    the inlet is a
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-fill-valve-uk/84007, you can replace these from the top too, pull the grey ring upwards and it unlocks the valve and it will come upwards, turn the water off first ,

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    chippie244 and FatHands like this.
  7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Quality tips there Tompus ;););)

chippie244 likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Fantastic TomP, I knew what the inlet valve was cos I fitted it but I didn't know I could leave the gubbins inside. :):):)

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yup, just turned the syphon and the black rubber seal has a bit missing.
    Excellent advice as always from the pie eating, plectrum strumming, pint drinking, plumbing king :)
    :):)

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

always happy to help,

;)