System boiler - can't repressurise it!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jun 9, 2014.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Worked fine for 4 years. It's a system boiler with 3 port valve "Y" plan. DHW via Heat Store. Fault: pressure gauge on zero. Obviously system has leaked and suspected PRV as no other signs of leaks on system. PRV operated manually and allows water through but in "closed" position I had to "wobble" it to get it to seal. All straightforward you might say - replace PRV. BUT - With the PRV properly closed off, I can only get a small dribble of water to enter the boiler via the filling loop - pressure gauge barely off zero before flow stops. Approx. 3 bar pressure at filling loop connector. Can't think of a reason for this - can anyone?

Thanks for any thoughts!

diymostthings

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hi diy, perhaps the pressure at the mains is low or faulty gauge or muck in valve or check valve faulty o_O

3. diymostthings

Thanks for that Tom - mains pressure is 3 bar but just on 2 bar at the filling loop (I fitted a pressure reducer with gauge on installation) and water p----es out when connection to boiler return is loosened. The gauge is connected by thin flexible plastic pipe to the PRV manifold and I wondered if this could be blocked. i.e.boiler up to pressure but gauge stuck on zero. But the boiler won't fire so some electronic gizmo thinks its low pressure - so I assume it is! The digital readout says "0" - i.e. normal standby mode - no Error E codes at all! Its a Remeha (now Baxi) Avanta Plus System.

I sense another drain-down coming on and 15 quid for the Sentinel. Will check for blockages as you suggest but can't help thinking the original problem (no pressure) has something to do with the fact I can't re-pressurise.

Thanks for you input as always Tom

diymostthings

4. The pressure gauge is mechanical analogue? In which case any pressure sensor that controls the PCB will be a separate gizmo.

Does that boiler have an error code for lack of pressure? If so, strange it's not showing if that is really the problem. If it doesn't have a code for this, then perhaps it just stops working, and you're meant to work out the reason from the gauge!

I've read on here that blocked pipes to gauges do happen. Can the end plug be disconnected at all, either at the manifold end or where it enters the gauge?

5. diymostthings

Thanks for that DA - well it has got a whole host of error codes - and a facilty for looking back at the last 15 stored errors codes! Low system pressure is one of them. But I can't get any error codes to show - it just sits there reading "zero" (all hunky dory and awaiting a heat call) But doesn't fire on heat demand. Yes the gauge is simply mechanical but the connecting pipe can't be checked/removed without a partial drain-down. Still very puzzled about the original fault though- surely this lot must all be linked somehow?

We have an immersion in the heat store and CH not needed so not desperate at the mo.

diymostthings

6. Hmm, methinks you need to take a step back and assume that the boiler pressure is fine...

After all, two things (not being able to top it up any further, and the digital display) are telling you pressure is ok, whereas only one - the analogue clock, which we know is prone to being blocked - is saying 'wooo - no pressure'.

3-port valve, eh? So the valve has to operate before the boiler fires up?

Does the boiler have a 'reset'? Or has it been shut down for a goodly while before powering it up again?

Start talking to that 3-port valve...

7. diymostthings

Dear respondants - I have sorted the problem and I confess to being a complete plonker. DA is absolutely right - the boiler is actually up to working pressure (although I don't know what it is as the gauge must be faulty). The boiler DOES fire fine - my check with the room thermostat to demand heat didn't work AS I HAD THE CH OFF AT THE PRGORAMMER. DHW demand didn't fire it as the Immersion had the heat store water up to temperature. Will send off for a new gauge and pipe (under warranty still).

Very sorry to have wasted your time - quite expect to be ceremoniously stripped of my gas grips and mole wrench and drummed off the forum.

diymostthings

8. I'm not...not...honestly not...laughi....

(soz - can't type anymore...)

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

next question is, if the house pressure is 3 bar, why did the PRV not blow off ? :eek:

10. diymostthings

House pressure is isolated from the system by the filling loop (and the loop is reduced to about 2 bar by a reducing valve and gauge) which is removed from the system (as required by the water co. rules) after filling. I think the connecting pipe to the gauge has become blocked - apparantly they are tiny bores and can be cleaned with a pin!

Many thanks Tom and apologies again

diymostthings

11. diymostthings

While you are rolling about on the floor laughing DA, can you see if you can spot the screw I dropped - you know the one - it holds the front casing on....

BAD DAY!!!

diymostthings

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

nope, you've learned a little lesson and you've solved your issue without having to rip your system apart

that's a good day

13. diymostthings

Hmmm..wise words. Didn't feel much like a good day this morning though. Good news now is that Baxi are mailing me a new gauge and connector under warranty. Good service!

diymostthings

14. And the screw is in your turn-ups.

15. Conx6505

Conx6505 New Member

Thanks all - the thread and all your useful advice has helped me sort my boiler out. Had the same problem with the expansion tank - the top seam had split and I think the root cause was blocked pressure gauge. I probably over-pressurised the system and did the damage but also managed to lift the pressure relief valve. Changed the expansion tank and was still suffering loss of pressure then heard telltale trickling at the tundish. Fiddled with the PRV but couldn't get it to seat so bought a replacement (and a new gauge) - fitted them tonight and we're back up and running.