System boiler with tundish?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by LarryPlum, Feb 4, 2008.

1. LarryPlum

LarryPlum New Member

Evening all, simple question...

If installing a system boiler in an internal cupboard with no route to outside for the pressure relief discharge pipe, is it acceptable to run the pipe via a tundish and trapped waste to an internal drain?

Many thanks,

Larry

2. v12man

v12man New Member

Yes

As long as there is a satisfatorily air break in the pipework thats fine. The volume of the system is so small that the volume of the released water is neglgible

Chrs

3. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Yes

As long as there is a satisfatorily air break in the
    pipework thats fine. The volume of the system is so
    small that the volume of the released water is
    neglgible

Chrs

I know an unvented cylinder can use a tundish and then into a dry Hepvo trap with no solvent weld joints in the waste pipe.

Not 100% sure about a boiler discharge as this will be contaminated as an unvented cylinders discharge will not be. If it is OK use a HepVO trap as no water to dry up and give off drain smells.

4. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

Uh? I've seen some dodgy unvented installations, but not one where they've actually used waste pipe for the blow-off?!? Given that any water exiting the unvented is likely to be a. very hot and/or b. under considerable pressure I'm not sure how long your Hepvo trap is going to last. Regardless G3 specifies METAL discharge pipework.

Re: system boiler don't forget that most mfrs specify copper pipework on relief for reasons as above.

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Uh? I've seen some dodgy unvented installations, but
    not one where they've actually used waste pipe for
    the blow-off?!? Given that any water exiting the
    unvented is likely to be a. very hot and/or b. under
    considerable pressure I'm not sure how long your
    Hepvo trap is going to last. Regardless G3 specifies
    METAL discharge pipework.

Look at the BRE certification. Clearly there:
    http://www.redbooklive.com/pdf/042-97.pdf

Re: system boiler don't forget that most mfrs specify
    copper pipework on relief for reasons as above.

Not sure about boilers into a HepVo trap. The temperatures will be about the same, so whether contaminated water should be discharged into the drain I not clear on.

6. LarryPlum

LarryPlum New Member

I spoke to Hepworth re. this issue. A tech support engineer started going on about the temperatures plastic waste pipes can withstand but after questioning him for 15 minutes, was unable to give me a technical reason why it should not work perfectly with a boiler discharge pipe.

The only answer he could justify was that it had been certified for use with unvented hot water systems but not boilers and therefore if the installation was inspected it would not pass.

I wonder why they have not also got it certified for this use?

7. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

I spoke to Hepworth re. this issue. A tech support
    engineer started going on about the temperatures
    plastic waste pipes can withstand but after
    questioning him for 15 minutes, was unable to give me
    a technical reason why it should not work perfectly
    with a boiler discharge pipe.

The only answer he could justify was that it had been
    certified for use with unvented hot water systems but
    not boilers and therefore if the installation was
    inspected it would not pass.

I wonder why they have not also got it certified for
    this use?

That is the way I understood it after some investigation about 5 years ago. I wasn't sure if it had changed. And he is right, there is no reason why a boiler can't be discharged into a HepVo trap. If it was approved, then a boiler manufacturers could supply the whole tundish and HepVo trap in one bolt on assembly so cowboys and DIYers can't go wrong. I wouldn't like one in the kitchen at eye level, as steam could come out. In unvented cylinders they generally are in cupboards out of the way, which defeats the object, as a tundish is supposed to be in a position that can be noticed.

8. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

I wonder why they have not also got it certified for
    this use?

Hepworth are missing a big market by not doing so.

9. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

Now I'm really confused... I checked the lastest Part G (2006) and it still specifies "metal" for both pre and post tundish. Which obviously contradicts the Hepvo spec?!

Will dig a little deeper on this one, since I can see great advantages in using a Hepvo. Not sure how the downstream pipework would cope though with a large rumbling unvented...

10. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Now I'm really confused... I checked the lastest
    Part G (2006) and it still specifies "metal" for both
    pre and post tundish. Which obviously contradicts
    the Hepvo spec?!

Will dig a little deeper on
    this one, since I can see
    great advantages in using a
    Hepvo. Not sure how the
    downstream pipework would cope
    though with a large
    rumbling unvented...

Using the high temperature mPVC pipe should be fine and equivallent push-fit fittings. Solvent weld is no good. Make sure is it swell clipped.

I would connect my own boiler with HepVo trap, but would not do it for others. Pipes, and flues, on the outside of buildings look really naff.

11. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Now I'm really confused... I checked the lastest
    Part G (2006) and it still specifies "metal" for both
    pre and post tundish. Which obviously contradicts
    the Hepvo spec?!

Will dig a little deeper on this one, since I can see
    great advantages in using a Hepvo. Not sure how the
    downstream pipework would cope though with a large
    rumbling unvented...

Look at this, Atmos have a discharge into a HepVo trap and internal drains:

"Combined Safety Discharge and Condensate Drain
    This is a unique option which means that there is no need for an external copper discharge pipe, as is normally required for unvented hot water systems. The 32mm waste pipe is taken to the nearest soil pipe or internal drain connection."

Look at this:
    http://www.atmos.uk.com/corefiles/productDoc(135).pdf

All in colour and clearly visible with a HepVo trap and brass Tundish.

12. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

13. Kainedog

Kainedog New Member

You can use a hep vo via supplied tundish with an unvented cylinder ( 600 mm below relief valves of course) , it can then be run in waste pipe to a stack BUT that waste pipe cannot share anything else ( sinks baths etc) and preferably labelled as such . Never seen anyone put the prv of a combi or system boiler on a hep vo though , not sure why ? I use a mushroom or turn the pipe back on itself

14. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

High temp' plastic waste pipe must be used. One of the Atmos boilers used a HepVo trap for the boiler PRV. Look at page 26 and 27 here. Pretty clear that the PRV can go into a HepVo trap. High temp plastic pipe with no solvent weld fittings are to be used.
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGgQFjAI&url=http://www.atmos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Atmos-Multi-Mk2-Installation-Manual-2Dec08-Amend-18Jun10.pdf&ei=_991VI3rNc6y7Qayn4HoBg&usg=AFQjCNGA_7hvCL-g61FPa2A66_ToXjCvWA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014