Table Circular Saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tdc, Aug 24, 2015.

1. tdc

tdc New Member

New Here so I will say Hi to one and all.

I am looking for a table circular saw mainly for cutting tree trunks, which are then split for the the wood burner.

In the past I have used a petrol chainsaw which was OK until it broke down.
    There are more negatives than positives with a chain saw in my opinion.
    One being once you have finished it just sits in the garage for maybe 10 months.

I then started considering a table saw which we could use all year round for different small projects.

The question is how big a blade can a table top accommodate.
    Some of the trunks can be up to 20cm thick (some a lot bigger but I appreciate there has to be a limit).
    In the ideal world I would like one cut to do the job.
    Can the blade be adjusted to achieve a deeper cut or do I use a larger blade.
    At the end of the day I can always turn the wood. But an easy life is what I am looking for.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You ain't going to cut 200mm diameter logs with a table top saw bench, you need to look at a logging bench, or saw bench run with a petrol/diesel engine or pto, or stick to your chainsaw, can't go wrong with stihl, had mine years, never failed.
    You can pick a Lister Diesel Saw Bench for £200-£300 upwards, a 24" blade would give you a cutting capacity of around 9"-11".

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When I worked in a sawmill our biggest saw had a 6' blade and with the rolling bed it could cut through about a 2' dia tree.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Scheppach have 9 models for log sawing.

But anything from 170mm cutting diameter up is either 3 phase or pto tractor driven.
    I use a chain saw meself.

5. I know a guy cuts his on a band saw alot safer

6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Have you thought of using an electric chainsaw instead? My Bosch will cut through 20cm no problem, it's low maintenance and pretty quiet too. ;)

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I use Husqvarna. Has never broken down.
    And the chain I can sharpen myself. No need to send it out unlike a circular saw blade.
    It also cuts a 2 foot diameter log with ease.

When I'm finished sawing with it, it sits in the shed until next year.
    Same with the logging circular saw.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Btw I'm not recommending you buy a Husqvarna.
    My husky 61 is 30 years old and used every year. It was my Dads saw.
    Anyrode they don't make saws like that anymore I'm afaid. All a load of gimmicks nowadays because of the h&s box tickers.

And yes at 84 years young he still weilds it too cut his own trees up for his log stove.