Tall units ceiling height issue

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Kitchenfurb, May 29, 2017.

1. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Hi All
    My first post here and I will be really grateful for any help.
    So situation:
    Double garage conversion to kitchen has a pitched roof with W truss.
    We have fallen in love with an ex display high end kitchen which we could never otherwise afford.
    The tall units in the display are floor to ceiling and are plastered in and looks fab but has a height of 2.34m. My garage converted ceiling height is 2.28m (about 6 cm less).
    Is there any way of trying to work around this?
    Trimming bottom of tall units (stupid idea?)
    New flooring will be laid - can the tall units be laid outside of tiled area to start at a lower level (perhaps even dig a few cm down - sounding desperate now!)
    Any adjustment in ceiling?
    Any ideas at all or is a case of forget it?

Many thanks in anticipation.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have a look under the tall units to see what adjustment there is. Quite often taller units have adjustable legs than can be adjusted up and down to level the unit. You may be able to reduce them to accommodate your ceiling.

Alternatively you could remove the legs and build a timber framework base instead

Any end panels can be trimmed without any problem.

You may have to cut down the plinth panel under the units to accommodate the new height.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

as long as your kitchen panels are made of wood /chipboard / MDF etc they can be cut /sealed at the bottom. you will need a good joiner.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

any photos of what you are thinking of buying ?

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  5. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Many thanks for your replies - is 6-7 cm achievable this way. Can it lead to problems with door opening at the top or bottom. Please find a pic of one of the end tall unit. There will be full length integrated fridge and freezer with some storage above. 20170529_191358.jpg

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Unlikely you will be able to adjust the bottom legs. What make are they?

Kitchenfurb and terrymac like this.
  7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

is that a plinth at the floor level and does it measure 150 mm, if so you may just get them in but not on standard legs.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  8. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Sorry I am not very technical. The kitchen is far from us, so can't just pop over and see. I will ask the showroom tomorrow. Can the silvery bit be anything but a plinth hiding the legs?

9. Doall

Doall Active Member

Will put door lines out surely

10. Do you have a make for this kitchen so's we can look it up?

(All looks very '70s from that pic!)

Anyhoo, yes that silver bit is a plinth and yes it can be cut down as much as you want (it's usually around 150mm high, I think?)

That is obviously the easiest way to reduce your unit's height since it avoids cutting the doors, but it will make it all look a bit weird with that sudden step-down in plinth height.

I would suggest that simply trimming half the height off this plinth (and the legs behind it) will look strange - unless the unit can be kept away from the other base unit run?

If the doors are as shown in your photo - ie a flat 'plain' style with no 'frame' - I would suggest instead that the best option would be to trim the necessary 70-odd mm from the top of the top door. Yes this would need to be done carefully so's it leaves a good finish with no chips, but it should look ok since you cannot see the cut end. (Cutting the actual cabinet itself to suit is easy.)

Who will be fitting this kitchen for you? Any half-decent joiner will do this for you with no issues.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A skilled joiner would be able to cut the unit to fit the ceiling angle so it still lines up at the bottom with the rest of the units, otherwise it's going to look S***.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As others have stated, I would look at employing a good carpenter to cut the top of the unit and resize it properly, you may lose a bit of detail on the top of the door and have to relip it but you dont have a lot of choice, and I'd forget about the storage above the fridge, as once 60 odd mm comes off there'll probably be bugger all left.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  13. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Sorry confused now. Is the consensus that I not look at doing anything with the legs and plinth at the bottom but trim at the top.

If so, I understand trimming the door with proper lipping but how does the unit shrink to match the height of the reduced door? Apologies for my total ignorance of this. I really struggle with this kind of technical stuff.

I am sincerely grateful for you all taking the time and trying to help me.

14. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

The storage above fridge does not worry me too much so long as the finish can be sorted. Thank you very much for your advice.

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

if you have all the base units on legs at the moment ,standing 150 mm off the floor, cut all the legs in half and they will be 75mm less in height !! got that OK ?? now all you have to sort is a plinth at the bottom , half the height it is now ! no cutting cabinets or doors ..good night and god bless

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  16. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Understood that - Thank you very much for your help and Good Night.

17. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Couple of photos of the tall units in the showroom. For information it is a Poggenpohl kitchen.

Attached Files:

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have a feeling that this "high end kitchen" will end up looking like a high end kitchen that has been bodged into a space it wasn't designed for. The extra work to cut down and joint all the trim neatly might not make it such good value. It's very brown! - not my taste, but if it's the "look" you are after there are other ways of achieving it which might look much better, albeit in less expensive materials, if they are neatly designed and installed into the actual space available. personally, unless you have already bought it :eek: I'd go back to the drawing board.

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  19. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Many thanks for your response. Well other than the height issue on the tall units, the rest of the kitchen is perfect as far as our plan is concerned.

Also, the whole kitchen is not the brown you see on these pics. The base units, wall units and island units are all light coloured and gloss finished:).

20. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Any thoughts on how much I should expect to pay a carpenter/ joiner to cut the tall units and doors at the top (there are 6 of them).