Tall units ceiling height issue

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Kitchenfurb, May 29, 2017.

1. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

The units are 60mm higher than your present ceiling height to get the built in look you want you need to add at least a 2 x 2 Batten across the top perfectly level then plasterboard and skim, this will then reduce the height by another 65 if you don't do this and your ceiling is not perfectly level the unit won't fit as it looks like it's a framed bank of units and the head and plinth are fixed, a decent Chippy would be able to do it but they would have to build the stud work re manufacture the units and install them and I would be wanting at least £1000 depending on how the exsisting has been made, the look you are going for can be easily achieved using standard tall larder units, endpanels and a bit of stud work and would cost far less

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  2. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Unless that skirting is 8" there's no way the plinth is 150mm

3. Good points, SW.

Yes, that plinth looks a lot less than a standard kitchen's @ ~150mm.

Kitch, I suspect we have reached the end of the advice we can sensibly provide on here.

You know you have a couple of possible solutions - one is to trim (possibly fully remove!) the plinth so as to lower the whole caboodle. This is an easy solution and doesn't require a 'kitchen fitter' per se, chust a decent joiner/chippie.

The lack of plinth won't - shouldn't - cause any issues as you don't need toe space when using these units anyway! One possible issue, tho', is lack of ventilation to whatever is built in - fridge freezer etc. This usually relies on a cut-away or grill fitted in to the plinth so that air can circulate in at the bottom and cool the appliance inside.

The other option - trimming the unit tops - is more 'drastic' and fraught (eg risk of chipping the finish on the fascias along the cut), but this solution should work without any issues and also provide you with the plinth size they currently have.

I'd get all the info together that you can - photos of the units, sizes, etc - and then call a couple of dedicated kitchen fitters (I mean 'dedicated' in both meanings.)

SWBUILDERS likes this.
  4. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Many thanks for your reply. The height from the floor to the top of the top trim piece is 2.34m and my ceiling is 2.28m. Do I neccesarily need to have the plaster boarded bit at the top (backed by the baton structure). Are you suggesting that having that little bit will make the look better (like a built in feel). I am sure the kind of look can be achieved with other brand units. My attraction with this display is the combined package of the units, worktops and the appliances package as I would never be able to afford that package otherwise. So trying to see if there is anyway it can be adjusted.

By the sounds of it, trimming enough off the top of the units and doors is probably the best option as I can control how much (rather than be limited by leg adjustment/ loss). By doing this I can also add the baton/ plasterboard building work and achieve the built in look desired. Is that the best option?

Many thanks to all again - what a helpful group of people you all are :).

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Removing the entire plinth would give you 75mm poss but if your floor was running just a bit could make the doors foul

6. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

If your ceiling is not dead level (its highly unlikely it is) and you fit the unit there will be unsightly gaps between unit and ceiling this would normally be scribed in with a standard panel but it does not appear to be possible as the framing around the doors looks very minimal at the top, that unit is designed to look as it's set into the wall and without a head I personally think it would look a bit odd, if your dead set on getting it try and find a recommendation of a good carpenter and get them to give you a quote as I said it's defiantly doable

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Kitchenfurb likes this.
  7. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

That's very good advice - many thanks for that. So from all perspectives, cutting the units and doors down quite a bit and building the framing around to achieve as similar a look to the one in the picture and no removal of legs or cutting plinths is the best action.

I can imagine the carcass being fairly easily saw-able. My lack of understanding is around the laminate doors - the laminate finish runs around the door to the back as well. When the top is sawed off, the inner mdf/chipboard (whatever) will be exposed at the top. How does one close that in with the laminated wood finish?

Again, please excuse my ignorance on these technical things :rolleyes:.

8. That is why you need an experienced kitchen fitter if you are going that route.

The units you are buying will very likely have been made-to-measure. Perhaps not for the showroom, but they certainly would for a customer install. In which case the laminate finish is applied in the factory.

Yes, trimming the doors will remove that finish from the top edge, exposing the inner material. Of course, being at the top you won't see it! However, it will need sealing, and the fitter will have a range of options including bonding on a matching laminate. Tbh, he might even simply suggest a liquid sealer to protect it as it won't be seen in any case...

The fitter will likely (I would imagine) use a router to finish off the cut edge neatly.

Whether Pogen will be able to supply a suitable matching strip is perhaps another thing to find out - you could try contacting them yourself to see?

Almost certainly the best solution is to remove the plinth to again that extra space - no damage to the units - but that's got to be for a fitter to comment on, on site.

9. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

A good carpenter will remake cabinets so you would not be able to tell they have been altered all edges routered and re edged and looking like it does now just a bit shorter, obviously they will need to see how they are constructed at the moment to make a call on how to adjust and it won't be cheap as the tools needed will have cos them £1000's

Kitchenfurb likes this.
  10. Kitchenfurb

Kitchenfurb New Member

Many thanks for your help again. Any recommendations for some one in S Wales?

11. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi no I'm afraid not a bit far from me, sure some of the guys on here are closer to you if they see this they may be able to help, if not try asking friends and family for recommendations hope you get it sorted

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whereabouts in South Wales are you?