Tap head wont come off?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bathroom boy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Had a job today, seized tap ,couldn't remove tap head, even when heated up like the the thing welded on, even took it home to try various spanners etc. Customer imformed me that it was less than 12 months old, I advised her to find receipt and get a replacement, anyone else had simmiler problems with taps like this?

2. Guest

Yup but, someone previous had a go before me, nuts where well shot, NO CHANCE ! and a nicely tiled bath panel. Oh shlt

3. What kind of tap? pillar? basin ? etc
    The tap seized, no water coming out or stuck in on position ?
    Were you going to replace the head ?

4. Captain Caveman 2

Captain Caveman 2 New Member

I have had a similar problem, in the end took 2 people 1 2 hold the tap and the other with the adjustable. Sometimes the footprints and hammer come in handy!

5. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Bath tap, tried every spanner, socket wrench iv'e got starting to chew up the brass, advised customer to get new taps, impossible to get off without damage, eve had it in vice on my bench.

6. pvc_pvc

pvc_pvc New Member

I had the same problem last week trying to remove the tap body on a seized tap. I tried using spanners, wrench and grips but it wouldnt budge! Taps were only 3 years old but were cheap ones.
    I saw on one of these DIY tool sites a liquid product specially designed for stubborn screws/nuts/bolts but cant find it now. Dont know if WD40 would have helped ?
    Any tips ?

7. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Plus gas is good but in this case these are fairly new taps which have probably been assembled by a mindless machine and overtightened.

8. spaniel

spaniel New Member

Take the tap off sink / bath, place boot on tap (covered with towel or similar to avoid any scuffs or marks), pull on spanner and it'll should move!! Worked recently, cleaned - tap ok, not broke - no more problems.

9. sim

sim Member

10. pvc_pvc

pvc_pvc New Member

11. strappy

strappy New Member

i know this can be tricky but if you can get a good solid hold on the tap to "hold against" and use the correct size ring spanner on the head it will come undone,if you use open ended spanners ,adjustables or for the roughnecks,footprints or stilsons all you do is squeeze the flats you are biting on.

12. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Done all of the above and it won't budge, it must be a **** tap.