Tape for measuring between gaps

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by diy_nixy, Jun 29, 2017.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I just wanted to share this great buy. A tape measure which measures between gaps such as door frames, alcoves, windows etc. Saves you having to add the width of the body or even worse bending the tape meausure into the corner and estimate the measurement.

I looked at storey sticks as some people call them or trying to bind two sticks together to measure between gaps for accuracy. Buts its very time consuming.

You can also use it a normal tape measure because the offset is actually on the underside and reads in the top of the body.

Finding on the internet was a real headache because its not called a "gap tape measure". I found it in my local too shop. Stanley call it a "Tope Reader".

Also the bottom corner is a right angle instead of being rounded like most tape measures. This enables you to transfer the measurement and mark it straight-off. Some wood workers like me are lazy and don't want to actually read the measurement, just transfer and mark it off.

My only criticism, the lock button for holding the tape out in place isn't very strong for when you want to transfer the measurement - it can move if you nudge it too hard. Other than that a great design.

Average price £12-15

Stanley part number 33-932

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-033932-Powerlock-Tape-Reader/dp/B001IZOIGS

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-p...ape-measure-5m-x-19mm/6539k?_requestid=117834

Hope this helps others

2. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Added some pics too - sorry not sure why webpage has rotated my camera images.

14987312730641731709682.jpg 1498731415322300592631.jpg 14987312730641731709682.jpg 1498731415322300592631.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What's the problem with adding 75mm (or whatever the body length is) to the measurement?

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What is so difficult about using the normal measurement and adding on te known width which is normally embossed on the case?

6. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Yes true, but its easier working with one method. You walk back go your piece of wood and forget to add 75mm to 1033mm. Plus its a headache doing more maths...and forget to do it correctly when rushing or thinking about other things like saving your fingers from the chop-saw.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is ok if you you one size of tape, I have quite a few different tapes & I occassinally add on thee wrong case measursment to my figures.:oops::rolleyes:

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Can't see the Stanley one being very precise!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select