Telebeam Installation

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Dec 8, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Must be a few joinery shops locally or slightly further afield in your area Jit.

Does seem high the price.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The stair co who quoted £1595 inc fitting didn't go in loft. He said just need a straight flight of stairs but when designing stairs on stair box plan there isn't enough room, so defenitley need the quarter landing at the bottom. his quote was very basic and he mentioned he would used knotty pine. No drawings given.

Rang one carpenter who said would charge £600 to fit the stairs inc handrail and spindles, but stairs would cost £1200-£1800, labour seems good, but material about twice the cost.

I'm quite good at measuring and have found the floor to floor to nearest mm.

Another local co (10 miles) have given a price of £420 for stairs (MDF treads/risers) or +£156 for timber treads, so think I may end up going with this and are only charging £30 for delivery.

The other option is Jelwen who have quoted £447 Nett for stairs, if I chose these I have to place a provisional order at the builders merchant, they then send out a stair technician to measure up, does say on there site they would be liable to meet building regulations.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

One of the things you can do on stairbox is get the measurements changed. I.e selecting the with of stairs on main flight, but on landing have it changed this affects the overall distance. So had to phone and get it amended as they can change the distance.

Probably would have been better to get stair position first before fixing in trimmer beam, but not far off, they make the head and foot cuts in factory, so will get this confirmed that the distance is to the stair trimmer beam.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Having had jeld wen measure up on a couple of jobs I've been on in the past, and then eventually fitted their stairs myself, they are pretty decent in fairness. However, having seen evidence of how competent you are, Jitender, I would think you more than capable of making the stairs yourself. A double kite winder with half a dozen newels then fair enough, get the joinery to make it as it's pretty complicated, but essentially you have two relatively straightforward straight flights connected by a quarter landing which you'd have to build yourself anyways, so you're already a quarter(ish) of the way there. You seem to have all the tools, a pretty good idea about building, and it appears the time on your hands to accomplish such tasks. I'd go for it if I was you.

CGN and Joe95 like this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I agree. Jit you're more than capable, even if you need to get a second pair of hands for lifting.

Double kite winders are a real PITA, I've fitted two from a local joinery shop here. Lots of effing and blinding fitting them...

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

There's a knack to fitting them mate, namely get someone else to do it....

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Haha, I should use that for most of my work:D

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Decided to fit myself with help will need 3 people as stairs weigh 100kg. Bringing them in will be the tricky part, and will have to remove spindles from current stairs to get them in. Was thinking of making myself but think is best to get them made.

Going to go with stairbox and place order on Monday they have a lead time of 2 weeks.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Good for you :)

Sometimes you just need to 'step up'!
    :rolleyes:
    I'll get me coat :D

koolpc and Joe95 like this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

At least you are taking a step in the right direction!

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tread careful...and all will be just...fine :)

Joe95 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I saw what you did there, yes I did! Stairs, tread, comedy gold! :)

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I don't trust stairs...their always up to something...

CGN likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You stringing me along Jord? ;)

koolpc likes this.
  15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

He's only pulling your spine...:D

koolpc and CGN like this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

'Easing' me in gently....

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Tread carefully guys!

CGN likes this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I love getting up in the morning knowing I'm fitting stairs later on in the day, but then I've always been an early riser......

CGN and koolpc like this.
  19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Stairs have been ordered this morning, should arrive in 2-3 weeks tim.

They prepare the head and foot cuts to your measurements.

Just need to find something to do until then.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm sure you've got one or two things to crack on with :)