Telebeam Installation

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Mutt you hound us with these puns?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Woof woof woof.............wine.............woof

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

OK I've checked with my laser lever and wall plate at one end of house between the other there is a 21mm difference :eek:

Done about 40 notches today.

Got about another 40 to do, underestimated. :(

Going to string a line and see if there is any bow in the beams.

Think I will just follow the wall plate. 21mm is quite a lot, but over a 7m span isnt too much.

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Are the notches there to level the telebeams? I.e you do varying depths of cuts to get the beam exactly level?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

No doing the notches to provide the 15mm clearance on the underside of beam.

Only have to do about 5-8mm deep - but still takes time.

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Ah, thanks. Just looked at your older post explaining it with the pictures, so i understand the Telebeams need to sit below the top of the existing roof rafters?

What are you using do the notching?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I started by making a cut with the handsaw, then just using a chisels to cut out.

Found it easier to cut the stop with multi tool, as was damaging the insulation.

Some are easier to do, other have knots which are hard.

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They did say use a router, but would be too noisy, and don't see how you could notch right upto the rafter, plus there are are some odd nails when noggins have been nailed in.

Wish I had dont the notching before the insulation went in.

Reckon there were over 100 to do.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I was thinking a router would have been easier, but unless its a long bit on a 1/2 router you wont get right up to the rafter. What you say makes compete sense.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Much easier with chisel, plus I sharpened it yesterday. Most only take 2 mins to do.

In hindsight would have been far easier to use even thicker wall plates, say 95x95 CLS then just trench it down to say 80mm at the ends.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to do the rest tomorrow, then have big vacuum up, all messy now.

Weather isn't too go so will start getting the rest of beams in on Monday.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pics needed. Ta

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

No pictures today. going to sleep now.

In telebeam land :)

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You'll sleep well after that!
    Good night:)

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got the another beam in today. Now that I have 2 beams at either end which are centered on the ridge line, I should be able to run a line to make sure all beams are in the correct position.

Beam fixed at the 'node' point using 2 x 100mm ss screws.

upload_2016-12-11_14-20-1.png

Beam now has the necessary 15mm clearance on the underside by notching.

upload_2016-12-11_14-20-39.png

House has twin soil stack. As beam wont go in this end 2 will have to be place on opposite side.

Thinking to put 2 45o connector to create an offset, but boxing in in WC will need to be made bigger for this. Planning on connecting a sink to the stack. may put 50mm pipe and AAV on this pipe work to avoid stack from going out of roof. What do you think?

upload_2016-12-11_14-21-27.png

Other soil stack at corner, this truss will only have one beam on the clear side. Which will form the stair trimmer.

upload_2016-12-11_14-22-52.png

Wider notching to accommodate the double beams.

upload_2016-12-11_14-22-27.png

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Good progress. Lots to work out and get right.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Plan is to get all beams in by Friday.

Will stat notching tomorrow, don't want to disturb neighbors about 30 left now.

Can't wait to start cutting out trusses, going to feel quite spacey once they're out the way.

Beams weigh about 35kg without the extenders so are manageable.

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guess you cannot cut out the trusses until u have braced things up?

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yea need to get the ashlar wall built too and the ceiling collar too.

Otherwise its not going to go well.

Wall get built from the angle plates.

Once they have been screwed into the 'nodes' they do feel a lot more sturdy with little deflection.

Should be able to get a fell of what I want then. Going to rewire the upstairs lighting now as well. They only bad side is routing the electrics, they did say I could drill a hole in the beams, but have to be really careful as wires could get damaged on burrs. May try and keep the holes on the I section as will be less to drill as planning on boarding out some of the eaves section for storage.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Where did you learn about all this work you are doing? You are very knowledgeable. I would not be routing in the beams.