Telehandler

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bazzyf, Jul 29, 2015.

1. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

Hi all,

I'm after some advice and I hope someone can help. Apologies if I've posted in the wrong section.

A close family member is a ground worker throughout Kent and Sussex. He tells me that telehandlers are highly sought after.

What does the life of a telehandler involve? What are the general duties and would you recommend it?

From what I understand it's a week long course to get your ticket but what is the best way to get experience?

I need to get out of the office or I'll go mad - or shoot someone!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Baz

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've only got a counter-balanced F/L ticket, but this was only used occasionally as part of my job as a technician in the defence industry. I really can't see that a telehandler driver is a full time job, but I may be wrong. :confused:

4. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Considering the construction trade is not the industry that I work in, what is the best way to get the experience needed for a CSCS card?

Also, the best way to get Telehandler experience?

5. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

Thanks Malkie. So if someone was employed as a Telehandler, what do you think their working week would consist of?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. malkie129

I really can't say too much about Telehandlers, as they were not used much in my industry, however I would imagine that in the construction industry, you would be a labourer with a ticket and would be called upon to drive one as required.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

On big sites you are the equivalent of a forklift driver in a warehouse except if the brickies are on a price you will get tips.

9. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

Thanks chippie that's good to know.

Can you tell me, how does a telehandler operative's day go? Do you drive it all day fetching materials etc or are you basically a labourer who jumps in the wheels throughout the day?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Depends on the site, some you could be labouring & that could be anything, larger sites it's mostly telehandler, as there usually deliveries most days, materials wanted here & there by the trades, but you might be required to help out occasionally, job descriptions vary.

11. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

Thanks for the advice KIAB. It wouldn't be unusual to find regular work spending most of your time operating the telehandler then?

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A basic labourer wouldn't have the ticket, which you have to pay for, so if you were employed for the premium price you could command they wouldn't waste their money getting you to shovel ****

13. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

That's what I was hoping you would say. I dont want to fork out my cash for the ticket to spend half my day shovellng ****. I want to spend my days doing what Ive paid to learn to do. Cheers mate

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you got your tickets for telehanders and cherry pickers which includes scissor lifts and zip up towers you may never have to carry ****again. It isn't that expensive and lasts 5 years.

15. God help me

God help me New Member

Telehandlers are sought after but unless you work direct for the firm you'll only get on average 10 percent over the average labourers wage through an agency. As a 'bog standard' laborer on some sites I made more than the tele handlers through the same agency. High work is where the money is, cranes and better still teleporter and self erecting crane tickets. It's not about the money it's about the flexibility.

I'm qualified on 5 tonne forks and 360 tippers for about 20 years now and a crane driver (sic) or his banksman would put my wages to shame. Banksmans ticket you'd think another £2.00 per hour but thats not the case in most cases. The agencies have taken the plant industry over. The big 18 metre reach JCB's teles can crab and have suspension in the cabs, £minimum rate the same as what I got on a zero suspension 5 tonne .

Like I said it's about flexibility, they all want tickets. 5 tonne minimum for flat work plus scissors plus 7.5 meteres plus 360 and self erecting crane license. all at minimum agency wage. I'm on 5 now my agency wants 7.5 counter balance. I'm not good enough to do the same **** I've done for years? I once on my own 'tipped' took delivery of 40 40 foot containers from China in two months. no crabbing no suspension no lunches either. Forklift driving isn't a career, it's an easy job sure anybody can do it!

16. bazzyf

bazzyf New Member

Thanks for your advice, fella. Put simply, are you saying get a range of tickets (preferably for high work) in order to be flexible with what I can do on site?

Is the high work more difficult to operate?

Like I said before, I'm coming in with a telehandler license and no experience. From what I've learnt from the people I've spoke to it won't be impossible to find work - it just might not be the best work to start with.

I'll start on a telehandler, build up my experience and try and get other tickets along the way. I think you're saying this is a good(ish) way to start?

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You don't need tickets when you know the contractor. We sub for a few large contractors and just drive their equipment (telehandlers, mantis cranes, 360 excavators, dumpers etc) as and when we feel like it. They have guys who will step in for us if any hse blokes show up with clip boards to start ticking boxes.
    It saves us a packet in the long run and makes us more competitive to the said contractors.
    Which is why they keep coming back to us.

Its not about "flexibility" at all. Its about "knowing" what you're doing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can't see many main contractors taking the risk, if caught they will be fined a massive amount and stopped from tendering for future contracts, sad but true in the Health and Safety mad world we live in.

19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Its not what you know its "Who" you know.
    Also some of the trainers will write us out "tickets" for a cash bung. There's always a get around.
    If your just a greenhorn who knows no one then you'll have problems.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  20. malkie129

Maybe it's changed , but on my ITSSAR card, it only says recommended retest date, so maybe you don't have to renew your ticket. :confused: