Terrible smell from painted radiators

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ianbl, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Ianbl

Ianbl New Member

We moved into this house during the summer when I redecorated the whole house.
    I used white gloss solvent paint on all of the radiators and although about 12 weeks had passed when I put the heating on the smell was awful .
    Weeks later it still smells.

I now know I should have used water based paint.

Now I need a solution.

I wonder if I paint a water based paint on top of the gloss if it would seal the smell.

2. supertosh

supertosh Member

The smell will disappear, eventually. Try cutting a few good size onions in half and leave half in each room. Unions are great for killing paint odors.

3. Yeah, rub your eyes with them and you won't smell a thing.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

It will go, just crank up the heating to drive the smell off, trouble is now you have had a problem you will be super sensitive to noticing it, try to ignore it it will go away.
    You could try putting the heating on full and having the windows open for a day, bit wasteful heat wise but there is no magic cure I'm afraid:(

The worst offenders are the special "radiator" paints really stinky:eek:

5. Ianbl

Ianbl New Member

Well now I've got the awful smell of paint intermingled with onions. Its bringing the tears to my eyes!!

Seriously I have turned up the heating and left in on all day with open windows. It does not seem so bad now but I have also experimented by overcoating one the radiators with a water-based paint. Says on the tin "suitable for radiators"
    If it doesn't work out next step will be to strip paint off. Maybe eventually replace them. They are quite old anyway.

6. Ianbl

Ianbl New Member

Painting with the water based paint has worked! The smell of paint has gone from that room. The others will follow suit.