Testing on price

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spen123, Feb 23, 2017.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I've been offered a job of testing council houses at @£40 a test mostly small 4 or 5 circuits. Does this sound any good? Never done testing on price before

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not my domain, but I do know a guy who does gas certificates in a similar fashion. Prob ok if houses are close together and you have a good routine. I suppose the danger is that you could become complacent and 'miss something'. Might be a good experience, maybe not, but until you try it, you'll never know :)

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Sounds cheap even 4 5 circuits might take approximately 2hours

4. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

That's what I bought. By the time you've removed switches and sockets. De lamped and put back. Plus its council so they arm always awake

5. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Thought

6. Sparkielev

Will you be doing remedial work? you could make more of that

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

No remedials. Done by others. Just testing

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Are they going to pay travelling on top ?

The other thing to ask about is payment for missed appointments - you could travel to a house and then find the people aren't in / won't let you in.

The other thing is vehicle security and parking, some of the places you visit won't be the best and you may find it difficult to park and may need to park on the street or restricted areas - a council pass is quite useful.

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Leaving aside the price issue for a minute, why on earth would you delamp?

10. Sparkielev

I know some companies who charge cheap on testing only because they get remedial work personally I think it to cheap you could be earning more doing other jobs and some councils are 3months before they pay up

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think gas must be much less aggro than electrics for testing, after all how many gas outlets would there be in a house, probably 3 at the most, eg cooker, gas fire, hob.

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

A mate of mine has a plug that the tester leads go into, saves taking the sockets off and can still do test. It'd be worth checking if their is one available for your tester.

Similar to this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/kewtech-kewcheck-r2-socket-adaptor/31565

13. I am not an electrician, and I am not getting involved in the work or the pricing.

But a simple equation. How many can you do in a day? Is it enough money for your day ?

14. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I'd want to do at least 5. No its no travel just the money for the test. I have the plug in tester but you still need to remove the odd socket to inspect connections as its periodic. I'd rather do end to ends at a socket and figure of 8 as its not often you find a neat board that MCB 1 matches neutral 1 ect

15. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

De lamping because of insulation resistance. I could connect l-n but the company that have the contract have said they do not want that done.

16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Then they are clueless. Definitely not worth the money.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What about all the others :p

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Way too cheap in my opinion. Minimum 2 hours to test and inspect a whole council house that has bodged by council maintenance over the years??
    Plus time to generate the report.
    As above, you are taking the cost of travel into this.

I used to do EICRs for an estate agent for some rental properties. Enormous effort to arrange suitable appointments and quite a few wasted trips due to nobody at home, etc.

Sparkielev likes this.
  19. eblu

eblu New Member

Run for the hills! We do EICRs for a local large letting agent at between £120-£150 each. Wouldn't dream of doing it for £40, not enough money to do a proper job and you would have to cut corners to make it profitable.

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Most companies who price out EICRs will not allow the company carrying out the EICR to tender for the remedial.