Testing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phil Hyde, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Been to a job today and went into the garage to do some testing. Found this!!!!

[​IMG]

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Temporary socket whilst the mains is changed? I've done worse. Strange that its clipped up though.

3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Show us the Henly block the T&E is connected to.

4. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

No straight of Henley block on 80 amp Dno fuse to an external radon pump. It's used for two houses on the same site hence it going through the meter.

5. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Kudos for neatness but shame it would probably look all black and charged one day. Bit like a modern art masterpiece, sell it to the tate, they buy anything even a cow chopped up into plastic containers for millions.

6. Perhaps that li'l old radon pump has a 100A start-up surge?

Ok, ok - I'm gobsmacked too... :oops:

7. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Think the owner miss understood when the meter guy said. "I've put a separate supply in for your pump off another meter "

8. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

I guess the pump is not earthed unless it gets an earth connection from elsewhere.

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Radon pump? its some mythical gas that lurks under new build properties isn't it. So they are using a DNO supply and meter to run a pump and nothing else, what feeds the rest of the property

10. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

No there is another meter next to it feeding a fuse board for the property. Second meter is because pump is for two property.s

11. fire

fire Well-Known Member

So they use a 100A breaker with what looks like 2.5mm2 or smaller cable?

12. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

No not even a breaker that's just a 100A double pole switch. It's actually fed straight of the 80a main incoming fuse then on to the 2.5!!!!!!

13. fire

fire Well-Known Member

That really is shocking.
    Electric BBQ in standby then.

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The fuses would probably protect the cable under short circuit and since it's a fixed load, which might not have much different current even if stalled so overload protection is not going to work anyway.