The best way to fit a kitchen sink waste.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by 2520years, May 17, 2008.

1. 2520years

2520years New Member

I'm a fairly-recently qualified plumber. A friend has asked me to fit a kitchen sink unit for him, and I want to help. However, we didn't cover kitchen sinks on my course.

My question is:
    When fitting the waste into the sink, is it best to use silicone/plumber's putty/something else to seal it?

I've found anything works on baths, but wash-hand basins are a pain. I've not fitted a sink yet.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

[I'm a fairly-recently qualified plumber./b]

Pull the other one!

FOLLOW THE PACKET INSTRUCTIONS!

3. (*Â¥*)

(*Â¥*) New Member

If the fitting is that new-fangled 'plastic' stuff, then solder it.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

5. 2520years

2520years New Member

You're all bonkers. And why would I pretend to be a fairly-recently qualified plumber? It's a simple question, so a simple answer would've been more helpful.

I haven't got the instructions yet, but I've noticed the instructions for bath and basin wastes don't mention which sealant to use, so I've assumed these instructions will be similar.

I just wondered which was best rather than trusting to trial and error.

6. enjay

enjay New Member

Come on lads don't take the mickey, 2025 obviously did the same 'Become a qualified Plumber in just 3 days' course that I did. They missed out the half hour normally allocated to sinks & wastes etc' and gave us intensive training on neurosurgery as a bonus. Most informative it was too. Doing my first operation on Monday,anyone out there done the half day anesthatist course??

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Yes, but unfortunately my first patient died :(

8. 2520years

2520years New Member

You lot are on the wrong forum.
    Try this one...
    http://forums.chortle.co.uk/

The truth is, I did a two-year City & Guilds course, that the college crammed into one year. As a result they skimped on some details. Hardly my fault.

Despite the course, I can fit a sink waste with no problems, but there's no substitute for experience. I wondered what experience has taught others regarding which sealant is best. I'd be inclined to use silicone, but I know, from my own limited experience, it doesn't always work too well on basins.

Would a sensible answer be out of the question?

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

A "qualified" plumber asking how to fit a sink waste is a bit like an electrician asking how to wire a plug!

Displaying your ignorance with such enthusiasm is not giving anyone any confidence in your abilities :(

10. 2520years

2520years New Member

Does an experienced tradesman know more than a new one?

Of course he does. Everyone learns from experience. You may remember you all had gaps in your knowledge when you first started out. I'm sure I'll learn loads as I go along, but how am I supposed to fill in those gaps without asking questions?

If all you can do is be sarcastic maybe you're only on here to boost your ego. In which case you've got a bigger problem than I have.

No offence intended, giving my point of view as you have given yours.

11. fuzzy bear

fuzzy bear New Member

hello 2520
    most sinks for kitchens come with a set of rubber washers to seal the waste, you should not require any thing else to do the job. however somtimes you will need to put a small bead of silicon on the very edge of the waste fitting that fits inside the bowl. hope this helps

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Just smear a good bead of weatherproof clear silicone round the fitting before attaching to the sink.

Use a slight twisting motion on fitting to ensure an even waterproof seal and then when fully tightened up clean off excess silicone in sink with a baby wipe!

BTW I'm a Spark!

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

...and the little black round thing is called a plug. That goes in the hole and stops the water escaping :^O

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

but how am I supposed to fill in those gaps without asking questions?

a) Go on a proper apprenticeship.

b) Use your loaf!

If you have to ask really really basic & simple questions you wont last five minutes! :(

15. 22 2

22 2 New Member

Hi 2525, (Zager & Evans, see Youtube), use silicon on the sink and bath. Do not use silicon on urinals (urine reacts with silicon and expands it). Do not use plumbers mait to bed basins onto Marble tops (stains).
    Go back and complain about your training.
    Regards Pete

16. 2520years

2520years New Member

Thanks fuzzy bear. That's what I was going to do (I've got half a tube of clear silicone in the van), but it was worth checking for my peace of mind. It's always worth a little effort to do a good job.

Cheers.

As for the suggestion to go on an apprenticeship to answer one simple question...seems a bit OTT to be honest.

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Go back and complain about your training.

Excellent advice!

Usually when fitting a strainer waste to a ss sink nothing is needed apart from the sealing washers. Sometimes realy cheap sinks and nasty wastes do need a smidgen of clear silicon but that is all.

This is very very basic stuff and you really should have been taught this.

What other basic simple stuff don't you know?

Frightening! :O

18. 2520years

2520years New Member

I understand your point of view Leaky. I'm not even disagreeing with you. We complained every week for the whole year while we were on the course. We escalated our complaints to the department head on numerous occasions, but they frankly couldn't care less. The plumbing course is so heavily oversubscribed they're in a position where they don't have to try very hard. They got a poor rating for the Ofsted inspection (the worst department in the college) so maybe things will change in the future, but that's too late for me.

As for the question, "what other basic simple stuff don't you know?"...I don't know! ;) I've only had minor problems so far, so I'm doing all right on the whole. I'm just trying to do my best under difficult circumstances.

19. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

it's Latin, look it up ;)

20. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Well if you had not begun your post with " qualified plumber" you would have got a friendlier reception:D

But you set yourself up for some stick by doing that ;)