The Commonwealth Games Baton relay

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Sean_ork, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

today passed through here just a few miles away .........

the council were out early cleaning roads that the relay didn't pass through, not that they even needed cleaning

council workers were out laying cones and setting up parking restrictions on roads that see 3 vehicles a day

off the boat came numerous plod on bikes, fancy vans and support vehicles - how heavy/valuable can a length of timber wrapped in a metallic material of questionable visual appeal be ?

10000s of free flags were given out to folks who clearly didn't want them (free firelighters)

1 primary school decorated their section of the route with 1 balloon

14 old folks from the care home sat and waved, they were probably told to and probably didn't know what they were waving at ..........

me and you are paying for all this, what a complete and utter waste of money on yet another display of imperialistic nonsense

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

one of the more enthusiastic spectators ......

[​IMG]

3. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

I totally agree Sean, what an outrageous waste of public money. It seems to have been going on for months without end.
    Its coming through our village next week, the public hall which has looked run down and shabby for years is now getting a face lift. What does that say for the attitude of our local council towards its voters.
    Mate of mine is a taxi driver in Glasgow. During the games he expects to loose about half his wages due to the restrictions of movement imposed by Glasgow City Council. To make things even worse he lives near one of the venues and due to parking restriction he wont be allowed to park his cab near his house.

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

outrageous is the right word

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You can bet Salmond will claim all the credit for the Commonwealth Games tae. ;);) (jist afore he passes this expense oan tae Westminster) :p:p:p:p:p

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

The same in Weymouth for the Olympics. Visitor numbers were down because they were warned on the M3, M5, etc. & then they promised " a legacy" ! Do these people live in the same world as us ? :mad:

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

East London a prime example of a legacy that's not come about.

Do you live in Waymouth.

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you did get a legacy, all of the affordable accommodation promised to ease local housing issues post the games, was auctioned off to landlords and speculators - the legacy being an even worse housing issue

9. Phil the Paver

That was on Portland, with all the flats they built, that are now homes to the rich???

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I don't recall the name of the place, but I suspect no average wage earners will be living in any of the accommodation they said would be sold to ''normal'' folks

11. Phil the Paver

Do these look like homes for the plebs.????

atl134outside_1.jpg

View from inside one.

152918-300-240-75-crop.jpg

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

well seeing as I can't see any washing hung from the railings, or budgerigar cages on those balconies I suspect not

13. Phil the Paver

Though the building top left of the first pic is a prison, so there is a home for plebs. :p:p:p

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

they'll be kicking them all out soon for some care in the community, adding some of those fancy railings and asking £600k per cell (roomy flat in estate agent talk) - nice view mind

is that Portland YOI ?

15. Phil the Paver

??? YOI.

16. Phil the Paver

Ok worked it out :), yes it is, though there are some nasty peeps in there, murders etc, a friend of mines son works in there as an prison offices.

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

19. Phil the Paver

Sorry Sean that's the Verne not the Grove which is the YOI. the grove is further inland just around the corner from my mother inlaw.:eek:

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

a brace of prisons, everyone likes the South coast for their holidays