The Diesel Myth: Switching fuel is 'false economy' because most don't drive enough to make savings .

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by clive holland, Apr 25, 2012.

1. clive holland

clive holland New Member

Most diesel car owners are wasting money - because they don?t do enough miles to get the benefit from their engine, according to new research. Diesel motors have become more popular in recent years - but according to Glass's, it is only beneficial fuel wise if you drive over 10,000 miles a year.

2. Mememe 2

Mememe 2 New Member

I drive an Audi A6 avant. 3.0 V6 Tdi TDv S line Quattro with 300bhp and 600nm of torque. This car destroys many petrols on the road, even little hot hatches, in both performance, power, speed, torque and even economy! It may be more expensive when things go wrong, but they go wrong less often and with a chain belt it makes the 3.0 a very reliable engine indeed.

3. I drive a too litre turbo diesel. Zafira.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Well, if successive governments hadn't kept pushing the price of diesel up so it's now 40p more per gallon than petrol (years ago it was about 50p a gallon cheaper than petrol), then we'd only have to do 5,000 miles to benefit. I bet Rudolph Diesel is turning in his grave.

5. Mememe 2

Mememe 2 New Member

After the war, the plan was to divide Iraq into three parts... unleaded, premium, and diesel.:'(

6. gib.son

gib.son New Member

a mate of mine runs his 1990 diesel on veg oil, it costs £35 to fill up from 5 litre bottles from the supermarket, and off he goes, when he starts his car though, it smells like a chip pan

7. gib.son

gib.son New Member

I hasten to add, don't try this at home with a modern diesel, it has to be the older type,

8. gib.son

gib.son New Member

and the yanks and Canadians won't have diesel, shucks no, too noisey,costly to service and freezes up in winter, and they like thier 4/5 litre pickup/crew trucks with V8 gussling engines, but they don't like diesel,

9. gib.son

gib.son New Member

and there are four seasons in Canada,( btw did i tell you I'm going in July) anyrode the seasons are
    winter (piggin' freezin
    nearly winter freezin
    nearly out of winter freezin
    and July. phew, where's the ice bucket,

10. joinerjohn1

Some modern dieaels will run on veg oil, if you fit a preheater inline. Have you noitced though, just how much veg oil has gone up in recent years?

11. joinerjohn1

Ahh, just noticed this from April last year (at 23:37 as well)  Notice the spelling mistakes in my post. Yep, pub had probably just turfed me out.

12. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Diesel cars are good for towing. It is not quite as dangerours if your vehicle catches fire. ( see video of diesel locomotive derailed in Salford : looks like it ruptured its diesel tank on something and it ignited). If you plan to keep your car for 10 years then the engine should last longer than a petrol. I don't think they stall as easily. I like them. I currently have a Ford CMax 1.6 TD and currently get over 40mpg round town and 50mpg on a long run. Whatwever you do some government will b***** it up for you.

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony New Member

Small engined petrol is where the future is. Look at Fords fantastic new 1.0 ltr engine. I wonder if they will fit it to a van?

14. surfermick

surfermick New Member

the reason veg oils shot up in price was because the government waved the excise duty on it. there i was happily running my transit on veg oil at nearly have diesel price when i notice an article in the guardian, "excise duty waved on veg oil" WOW i thought , the government giving something away. then WHAM, everyone was buying it and the price shot up level with diesel, BALLS, i thought, blummin government weren't giving anything away, they were after something back, their precious excise duty.

15. Little Biff

Little Biff New Member

I have to agreeFT,
                        I used to drive diesel cars and diesel vans,would not have a petrol about me,I was extremely fond of the old citroen zxs1.9 diesels but then the new 1.4s came in with their particle filters and engine management fault which as far as I was concerned were deliberatly built into the car to give the makers nice little earners at a later date,So now I drive a very lively little 1lt which has none of the built in faults which clever Citroen/Peugeot have and now they are looking at massive sales loss,s.I wonder why?

16. joinerjohn1

I can remember years ago, when diesel (a less refined fuel) was quite a lot cheaper than petrol. Then manufacturers started putting diesel engines into saloon cars. The public cought on to the economy these cars had and bought them by the thousands. Result? Successive governments raised the duty on diesel until now it's higher priced than petrol. Grrrrrrrr

17. ed-bangeruk

ed-bangeruk New Member

Thats not the only thing in modern car I bet there's not a lot of differents in the MPG.

18. Woodworker2

Woodworker2 New Member

A lot of people running them on  red diesel. Half price  if you buy it in bulk.
    Wish I could  afford a car.

19. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

You're right, the government have put so much tax on fuel - and there is now not much difference in petrol and diesel that the gain has been reduced. However, there are still savings to be made. I have a TDCI Focus estate which returns 50MPG and what i find really impressive is that round town is really good too. Compare that to my mates 1.8 petrol one and its no-where near that. 

20. surfermick

surfermick New Member

my advice wood be to avoid red diesel, if caught you can be slammed big time. those customs +excise guys can rip your life apart,more powers than the police. saying that, unless you drive a landrover they are rather unlikely to test you. its all a b'gg'r isnt it. i had big vans for years, then i was caught in a spot one winter and bought a peugeot 206 estate for emergancy transport 2 years ago to get to work and was amazed at the fuel economy and £30 a year tax, i now run my business out of that, making more use of deliveries. i would love a landrover which i could keep for life but am struggling to let go of the 50+ mpg. im considering a trailer.