The difference betwixt a civilised country and a not-so.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Watched a docoomentary last night with ma two kids - ma wee girl in particular likes gory stuff.

'Twas aboot death row. In t'States. This scary cove was a day from being sent to his maker with the application of some drugs.

Seems the creepy creep had raped one woman and shot her and two friends leaving them for dead. One did.

Like all Americans, he was articulate. But still very scary.

Some 7 years ago in Iran, an 18-year old lad was walking with his mates through a bazaar when he was bumped into by an equally young man going the other way. Miffed, he retaliated by kicking the bumper. The bumper pulls out a kitchen knife he had in his sock and stabs the young man, who dies.

In America, the convicted psycho was to be strapped to a gurney and given a lethal cocktail of drugs to send him peacefully on his way. Sure he was to have an audience - amongst the witnesses were to be members of the victim's families.

In Iran the execution was to be slightly more macabre - a crude low scaffold, a short length of rope and a chair for the condemned to stand on. Audience? You bet - as many as could be squeezed in to watch. Usually televised too.

In the States, the executioner flicks a switch and the drugs are administered - relaxants first, followed by the lethal mix. Like going to sleep.

In Iran - under Sharia law with its literal interpretation of the koran/bible, an eye for eye, tooth-ditto - the mother of the victim was to knock the chair away and bring this young man to a squirming, drawn-out (no sniggering) death. This tragic mum had already lost her 11-year old son in a motorcycle accident - I think we can sympathise with her grief.

In the States, the switch was flicked - the family watched.

In Iran, the grieving mother ran forward, drew back her hand, and slapped the hooded killer of her son. And then asked for him to be released.

She then fell into the arms of the murderer's mother and they both wept their eyes out - one for her loss and the other from having her son saved.

In the States, the family was interviewed afterwards. The mum spat - "It was too easy - it should have been painful. It should have been televised in the middle of a football game. The execution should have taken place out in the prison grounds where crowds could watch..."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    Davie likes this.
  2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

So if one of your kids got murdered ( god forbid) where would you like the murderer executed ? I know where I would, and i would't stop the proceedings, I'm a civilized person but you can't take away the animal instinct in us, that woman who stopped the execution was thinking she was buying a ticket to heaven cos somebody 'played' with her head, mines not for sale and an eye for an eye is the only way I can see justice for scum, :mad:

3. Really, Tom? And that would help to give you peace?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I know it could never be undone and that two wrongs don't make a right but if someone takes a life, he/she does not deserve to live, and we should not provide them with bed and breakfast for 15 years and let them out again, the suffering would never end for the left behind relatives, but the thought of the perpertrator laughing about it would cut deep, that person would not be laughing on the end of a rope as I kicked the chair away,

Cheburashka and Phil the Paver like this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The only wrong I see here is she didn't kick the chain away, if it was me I'd have kicked it away and then jump onto him to make sure the ******* died.

6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

My son was murdered 11 years ago on New Years Eve (stabbed in the heart at a drunken party) and I don't know if I actually felt any malice against his killer, I certainly didn't want to go out and kill him. Perhaps the grief I felt at the time overcame any other emotions, I don't know. The tears have gone now, and I guess my son's killer will be released soon. Maybe I'll feel differently then, who knows?

7. Jesus, Gadget Man - that's shocking.

I cannot guess how I'd feel towards a killer if it were me, but I guess it would depend on lots of things such as just how 'psycho' the murderer was.

By all accounts, the killer in Iran was a naive young man full of bravado, but largely unaware of the possible consequences of actions. Wrong time/ wrong place/ wrong attitude. I can only hope that he goes on to do decent things and always appreciates the astonishing decision of this woman (we are talking Iran here, folks...)

So I suspect, had she knocked the chair away, she'd have even less peace for the rest of her life. Now that she has done something incredibly decent, she might be able to gain some strength in seeing that a further life wasn't needlessly taken away. I guess it all depends on what this young man does now - mind you, he'll probably be locked away for most of his life...

The killer in the States looked and behaved like a psycho. His crime was brutal and merciless in the extreme. I certainly won't lose any sleep over his demise.

But the reaction of the victim's parents were disappointing. And, no, I won't say understandable. They were looking for the crudest form of satisfaction, revenge, whatever. And find themselves behaving not much better than the killer psycho.

They'll never have peace.

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I think it is something that depends on an individual. Always a very hard thing to do something like this.
    The Iranian woman might feel alot worse if that young man she spared goes on to kill someone else some years later.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A lot worse. Haunted!

AND, she'll be told so(by the next victim/s' associates/family)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The feeling I got was that having lost a son herself she didn't want to see another mother lose hers.

Sean_ork likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Time will tell, and on her head it may be!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Cheb, but she might feel a lot better if he goes on to do great things.

Well, you said 'if' first.

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

that woman who did't kick the chair could well have mental problems herself, ANY 'normal' person would have kicked the chair and danced on his face, Its normal to feel angry when you lose a child, even if there's no wrong doer to blame, you'd invent one,

actually I may be wrong there, my thoughts just went back to the warrington bombs in the early '90's that boys dad was so calm and collective when his lad got killed, he campaigned for peace and went along way in getting it, I take my hat off to that man, he's a one in a million, perhaps that lady in Iran is one too,

there i go making judgement on someone I don't know and in a country I don't understand on a religious holiday too,
    I'll go now and prayer for forgiveness,
    amen, :oops:

14. Cheburashka

Tom, You have just reminded me of the father of the young man killed during the riots in London a couple of years back, He did the same and just asked for people to calm down. Maybe it is their religious background that allows them to feel this calm when something like this happens.

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

16. Cheburashka

Personally Tom, I'm a eye for an eye kinda person. If someone killed my son/daughter with intent then I'd want them to be executed.

17. Tom, that undoubtedly foul thug did not kill Rhys. Having said that, anyone handling a gun in this country should be severely punished - 5 years doesn't seem enough in this case.

It's a bit like drunk driving - get caught and you lose your licence and get fined. Get caught after drinking the same amount but having run someone over and you get years in gaol. Why should there be a difference? Both were 'loaded' and equally capable of causing the same fatality, so why should the 'lucky' one who got caught before they ran someone over get off more lightly?

Cheb - I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same. But I think the key word in that sentence is 'intent'.

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

You're right Devs, he did't actually pull the trigger, but he's a gangster and if the oppertunity arises for him to prove to other gang members his worth, he will kill, letting out after 5 years is sending the wrong message out to other gangsters, the only reason a person needs a gun is to maime or kill,
    drink driving is a totally differant thing, owning a car is a privilege not a statement of gangsterhood, o_O

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, for maximum street cred, you'd be expected to pinch the car. ;););)

20. Taken to its logical conclusion, Tom, any member of such as gang should be, what?, locked up for life? 'Capitalised'? Get 'em off the street, even if it means permanently?