The Dog House.

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Shaggy, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

I've been wanting to build a shed for years but never had the confidence to give it a go and a lot of the cheap ones you buy are thin flimsy things, so I've finally bit the bullet and built it.

I've never made so much as a dog kennel before so it may not up to the standards of some of you guys but I'm happy with it for a first build:).

We didn't want to go to the back of the garden because we have a pear tree that has finally started to give fruit after tens years, so it's gone to the side.
    [​IMG]

Used hexagonal paving stones to hold to hold the adjustable decking risers for the base.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to order five more risers for up the middle and insert a couple of noggins.
    [​IMG]

Used 18mm OSB3 for the floor and roof.
    [​IMG]

Before the floor was screwed down I clamped the frame and roof trusses together to see how big 4 x 2.3 meters looked:eek:.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With 150x22mm cladding on, the walls were bloody heavy so needed help to put them together.
    [​IMG]

Walls built now ready for the roof to go on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a double gazed window from a patio door for the long window and had a smaller double glazed unit made for the other, also made some "soffit ladders" covered with scraps of cladding for the overhang at the ends and covered the roof with felt.
    Cut a couple of spare lengths cladding cut down for trim around the roof, roofing lats around the windows and a few coats of shed paint and it's finished:).

"The Dog House"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sign was given to me by a pub landlord while on holiday in Pembroke last year so I had to use it:cool:
    [​IMG]

BMC2000, longboat, Jord86 and 3 others like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And very nicely done.:)

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That looks well good, nice work innit!

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Nice work.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Smashing job Shaggy, well done. :)

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

Thanks Guys, not bad for a first attempt;).

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

An excellent job.

If I were to offer any form of criticism it would be the spacing on the roof trusses being a tad to wide apart, this may over time allow the OSB to sag between them.

8. Wow - that looks brilliant :)

Nice colour too :D

I particularly like the bird's eye shot which shows your all your neighbs' efforts too... ;)

These hexagonal paves, what are they sitting on - is there a concrete 'found' of any sort under them? If not, I hope your soil is very firm... :rolleyes:

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Lovely job. I would have had the doors opening outwards though. Extra space wasted.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

Thanks DA, the ground is pretty solid and I used a thin layer of sharp sand to get them level.

I was going to open the door outwards but I thought the overlap of the cladding was a good rain proofing strategy;)