The Joys of Bodged Wiring.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Joe95, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Disconnecting the outside lights this evening, so I pulled up the floorboards where I knew some junctions were.

Then this: :mad::mad:
    IMG_8327.JPG

You can only see four here. There was another three on the other side of the right hand side joist. All on the downstairs lighting circuit.

The Brown Ashley Junction box was where the supply arrives from the DB, then it is split to four outputs. No earth to the kitchen florescent, no earth to the hallway light, no earth sleeving and no labels, it's a mix of 1mm, 1.5mm and 2.5mm T&E. There is a junction to a big fluorescent, smaller fluorescent, two under-cupboard lights, and a cable feeding a junction box I haven't found that feeds the outside lights and the downstairs toilet.

I got so irritated tracing wires, that I cut the whole lot out and stuck the living room, dining room and toilet feed on a plug, and stuck a lamp in the kitchen. I'll add rewiring the downstairs lights to the list now to. :rolleyes:

enc, CGN and KIAB like this.
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Was fine till you interfered Joe :D

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Get the wagos out and send them into action

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And I thought the installation here was bad ... like you, slowly updating/upgrading.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Is that my dad's old house you've bought then? :p:p:p:p (he wired in extra sockets etc and up in his attic the wiring looked bloody similar. ) I reckon the manager at his local Wilko's booked a Caribbean cruise just on the JB sales .

Joe95, KIAB and CGN like this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Isn't this normal???, pretty much how every house I've ever ripped floorboards up in, looks like, bloody sparks. ☺☺☺☺☺

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's fairly typical for older wiring, but I needed somewhere to vent after attempting to deal with it.

Going to put a large PVC box under a board and run all the lighting back to it, lots of wago's and cable glands going to be needed. I carried on lifting floors last night, and I found another four junctions on that circuit. There's still more too, the living room and front garden light junctions are somewhere under our bedroom floor, although the missus won't let me take that up:rolleyes:.

Pain in the ****!

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've kept every junction box that I've taken out of here over the years, last time I counted what was in the box there was 34.

When I'm done I'll destroy every single one of them:cool:.

9. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Your lucky at least the cover's have been put on the JB'S the place I'm renovating at the moment has at least half a dozen jb's under the floor in each room and not a single cover on one of em. I got a right belt while installing the new Ring final, me brother just sat there peeing himself grrrrrrr. LOL

Joe95 and enc like this.
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks fine to me Joe :p

Joe95 likes this.
  11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can I make a suggestion:

Rather than lots of Wago connectors which could turn into a rats nest think about installing a Polycarbonate DIN rail enclosure and then using Triple deck DIN rail connectors to terminate each light into. IMO or WAGO make DIN terminals.

Joe95 likes this.
  12. enc

enc Active Member

What a mess .. how old is the house ?

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I can't remember that off the top of my head, but I think it was 1930s.

14. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

If your lifting floors etc I wouldn't bother putting in an enclosure anod wagos/din rail connectors....just rewire with no hidden joints. would make a much better job.

nigel willson likes this.
  15. Or if you do want to have an enclosure then consider using one of these: http://www.surewire.co.uk

Although rewiring from scratch would be a better solution

nigel willson likes this.
  16. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Just clean up the JBs Joe, just need a duster running over them.

17. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I had a similar birds nest in our old Welsh cottage - I finally settled on a Honeywell 10 way junction box designed for heating circuits, but it tidied up the wiring no end. This was on the ground floor lighting circuit from an RCBO in 1mm T and E cable feeding extract fan, shower light, main bathroon lights an IR motion detector (with light) and a feed for 120W of underfloor heating! (Actually the 1mm feed cable was OK for all this lot as its rated at 6A in free air).

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

No-one dead though, and house still standing? Bit like a Daily Mail headline then... ;)

I love turning up things like this to trainees. The installation ends up getting put 'right'.
    They're amazed the house has had generations through it without the the whole street burning down or generations being cut short in their prime....

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

1.0 mm t/e is rated at a lot more than 6 amps!

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If I used more cable, I could drop everything down to the Cellar, then I'll have unrestricted access to it.

I've booked an (impromptu) hotel for two nights down in southend, take a break and when I come back I can look at it from a fresh perspective.
    To be honest, it is an attempt to apologise to the wife. I said I wouldn't make a mess inside for another month, and she's not happy now. :oops:
    Whoops! :D