The little things and invoicing

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by P J Thompson, Feb 23, 2017.

1. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I always struggle with 'the little things' when it comes to invoicing.

Use a quarter of a tube of caulk on a job
    Go through 100 staples
    Use half a dozen sanding discs or a grinder disc

This sort of thing. They obviously all cost but when it comes to invoicing what do other folks do?
    I have to admit that a lot of the time I just swallow it and don't bother invoicing this sort of thing. But I was thinking today, it might only be pennies or a quid or two but over the course of a year?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You should add the cost of the item to your bill. Simples

P J Thompson and CGN like this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If I've given a price on a job then that should be built in, if on a day rate then I add on sundries at cost + 10%.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just add in an amount for sundries/fixings or just add to 'materials'. Don't take the pee, but don't sell yourself short as they soon add up. You don't need to invoice to the last screw :)

P J Thompson likes this.
  5. P J Thompson

You're all right aint ya :)
    @Chippie, yes I'm talking about day/hourly rate work and those little things you use in the course.

It just always seems a bit churlish to add on 'sundries - 75p' or something but yes, I think I should start forcing myself to do it. Eg, a couple of weeks back I restocked a few sundries in the van, came to about £25 iirc. So far I don't think I've charged a penny for using any of it (though I haven't used it all, far from it).

On CGN's last sentence, I did once work on an Estate where the land owner expected you to account for every last screw on every job :D

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you use half a box of screws you charge for a box, half a tube of caulk you charge for a tube.
    I have a roll of stainless steel wire that I have sold at least 4 times, twice to the same company, and I still have most of it. If they had buy it it would have been a 2 day wait + delivery.

Joe95, CGN, wiggy and 1 other person like this.
  7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Charge for everything and round it up.
    If half way through a job I need a new blade or whatever, that customer will pay.
    But on the other hand I won't charge for glues, sandpaper and random things like that, if I have them on board that is.
    If I have to buy them, the customer gets charged.
    My last job as an example, I charged the customer for a trim saw blade, yard broom, flooring iron, caulking gun (mine broke). This was on a day rate mind, for price work I always build in incidentals.
    The invoice will just show materials/sundries, if the customer mentions anything, they are more than welcome to have the bits they bought.

Joe95 and P J Thompson like this.
  8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Just take a look at the invoice, last time you visited a garage.
    Nine times out of ten, consumables are listed.

Now just like a sparky that covers,
    Tea
    Coffee
    Sugar
    Mug
    Sandwich
    Top of the range designer work clothes
    Van
    Holidays
    +
    +
    +

I will now run for cover.
    And get me coat.

9. P J Thompson

That's pretty much what the better half says to do :)
    There must be a reason why I'm not in the 1%...can't think what it is though!

10. P J Thompson

@wiggy, that's sort of how I do it. Stuff that lives in the van I generally don't charge unless I use loads of it but if I have to buy something specially I do.. (not tools though)

@master...yes run.....run fast :D

masterdiy likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It is tricky...depending on your nature. I can be a bit soft and squidgy sometimes...but you soon learn. Fitting a kitchen from one of the trade suppliers...damn right you'll throw in one of your lovely screw boxes for my order. Actually, that's a top tip...when popping into Howdens /magnet etc, don't forget to cheekily ask for 'one of your lovely carpenters pencils' as they usually do have some tucked away! :)

12. P J Thompson

I've got to pop into our hosts tomorrow to pick up some Perma-white. I may ask them if they have any 9" medium pile Hamilton sleeves lying about :D

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No chance! :D

14. I agree with charging fittings on relevant jobs. Anything bought specifically for a job should be charged regardless, no reason why that can't be detailed on your invoice.

But I keep a record on my spreadsheet i use for my accounts. Got a column labelled consumables and it is amazing how much I spend on them. Always keeps me aware of pricing work out.

P J Thompson likes this.
  15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Thats a great way of doing it, I have been slowly going through previous years accounts to break down my spend.
    When fixings, ballasts, stains (for e.g.) get lumped together with timber as materials its difficult to know what you should shop more wisely for.