The new Electrical Installation Condition Report

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spark11, Dec 27, 2011.

1. spark11

spark11 New Member

2. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Thanks spark, that's a very handy link, forms fillable on the pc aswell

3. harmonic

harmonic Member

Thanks for download spark11 reading through notes what would we class as potentially dangerous C2

C1 no earthing live exsposed cables

C3 old style rewirable fuses

I am  thinking  wrong size fuses/cb fitted and no rcd arrangement as C2

Thinking then maybe old style consumer units as potentially dangerous and no rcd could be C2 and not C3 ?

4. pefc

pefc New Member

anyone know why the EIC comes up as read only? something im doing wrong?

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

A useful bit of info, thanks for that spark.  It actually works on the iMac as well.   Someone sent me a link of a similar one but I could not get it working.   Looking at the EICR, its going to use 18 sheets of paper with a copy by the looks of it, lot of paper.    To do that check (with any worthwhile info) its going to be a costly game for the customer by the looks of it.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Lucy you miss the point entirely. If electricians were capable of stringing together more than three words to make a sentence I am sure your suggestion would be merited. However, using a form of such depth, with lots and lots of tick boxes, will suit the majority who like to sit in the van to fill one out before they go in to do the job.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

...infact, I was quite surprised they didn't go a step further and produce a copy set of regulations, maybe with a bright orange cover so they stand out, and put a tick box next to each regulation and retitle the front cover, electrical inspection report. Then it would obviate the need to for at least one entire section.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Happy New Year to you too. :)

The next stage will be a multiple choice EICR for those fresh from the 17th edition exams. Make them feel at home.

9. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I would partly agree Lucy my post (worthwhile info) refers to 2 things, 1 is the need to not fill in all the boxes with n/a, n/v etcas it becomes worthless to anyone, the other is as you say is a letter detailing in plain english what problems there are.   When I do these tests I include a filled in form & a letter to go with it.    I have found it is just not worth the hastle regarding profit so I do as few of them as I can.   I often turm them down nowadays.   Occupied properties, children running about, having to move furniture to check sockets, consumer units that are so jumbled up that its difficult to know what goes where, not for me now if I can avoid them.

10. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

PIRs , completed one recently on a small comercial garage
    Initially wired in the 70s with that stranded type cable
    A few additions , supply to a compressor , then a supply taken off that to a small cu for lights and a few sockets, oh lots of that kind of thing
    Fella just wanted a report for insurance purposes, and whilst he would not have objected to allterations if required he was quite happy with what he had inc rewireable fuses
    Much of the wiring was surface clipped, and I could see no signs of overheating
    Difficult to carry out all the tests, so many N/A s, difficult to carry out all the tests because it would entail hours of disruption
    The point being that here is an installation that has been operating without problems for nigh on 40 years, what you gonna say, FAILED? Pftt
    BUT what are you going to write in you explanation to the customer, Lucia ?
    Yes but no but ,I didn't bother in the end SATISFACTORY
    Bollo      
    Happy new year TwiX CruXX

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hear hear!  

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Where to start?
    Lucy advocates not using a form based on the IET model forms, as it contains too much irrelevant information, it may scare the client or that it is just not necessary?
    Such would only be the case for an Inspector who is conducting an inspection just for the client's own use, or one that is not registered with any registration body, or one that is registered, but is not conducting the inspection according to their registration bodies' requirements.
    In the majority of cases, these reports are intended to be provided to a third party, such as an Insurance Company, a Local Authority or a DNO.
    As such these organisations will require the report to be conducted to the requirements of BS7671, and one of those requirements is that the report is based on the IET model forms.
    Many of the organisations, require the inspector to be registered (although there is no statutory requirement), and as such will expect the report to be conducted in accordance with the registering bodies' requirements.
    Again these requiremenst will be to use a report based on the IET model forms.
    As to the assumption that old style CUs would be C2 instead of C3, I would expect that the code (if any) would be due to the CU failing to meet the requirements of the current Regulations.
    Lack of RCD protection in the CU would not necessarilly attract any code either under the new or the old system, as there is no requirement for a CU to contain an RCD.
    I note that the website 'Sparkyfacts' states: The old PIR Code 4 "Does not comply with BS 7671:2008" is no longer in use. This is because there is no longer a Code 3 "Requires further investigation" and C3 now replaces the old Code 4.

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Yes lucia I agree with, I think the point I was trying to make was that the installation was really a Heath Robinson affair, spurs off spurs, a twin socket off a 5A fuse and so where do you start explaining that lot to the customer ?
    I could have listed dozens off points that just were not the norm, not quite right. So many points that it would have been better to simply state a rewire recommended, but that would imply that the installation was unsatisfactory, and for the life of me how could it be when it had been serving well for 40 years and still is.
    Comment box was left blank as otherwise it would have contained a multitude of observations

Ah! flip heck I'm going round in circles with this      DRINK  DRINK   ARSSE

14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Lucy, I don't understand why you bother.
    Anyone with more than two brain cells will know that what I have stated is correct.

15. Sonunigam

Sonunigam New Member

The first amendment to BS7671:2008 (IET Wiring Regulations) will come into effect on 1st January 2012.  One of the most significant changes sees the introduction of the new ?Electrical Installation Condition Report? (EICR) which will replace the current Periodic Inspection Report.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

More Spam!

17. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Had Spam 4 T tother night, weren't half bad!