the paint on every wall is flaking completely off

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by tredd, Apr 14, 2014.

1. tredd

tredd New Member

Hi, asking my second question as first was answered and found the responses very helpful.
    i have started decorating my second room, as i pulled out a couple of picture hooks i noticed the paint slightly peel off, so decided to remove flaking paint (as per this forums suggestions on other posts) but every little bit le to another bit flaking, every wall on all 4 walls seems to just flaking off in chips, occasionally i`ll get a decent piece off, but its like tearing wallpaper off the walls. its very brittle, and the paint doesnt look like its stuck to the plaster at all - its bare plaster underneath, and on the chips off paint the underside has a slightly rough feel, like very fine sandpaper..
    Does anyone have an idea of what this is likely to be? surely it cant be paint, is it lining paper or something (i see no joins anywhere)
    is there a quick way to get this off, and maybe in bigger piecess as the floor is covered in tiny sharp pieces of paint and the alls are still over 50% covered.. i have just being "picking" it as didnt want to use a scraper and ding the walls..

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I live in a 1950's house and it was distempered and all the subsequent paint layers just peel off.

3. Nightmare, Tredd.

I don't think there's an easy way, but you can use a good quality scrapper with a sharp edge at the correct angle so's it removes the paint without digging in.

At least it sounds as tho' the paint does come off cleanly.

Dull job. Do you have any children? Y'know, in Victorian times, they... :oops:

tredd likes this.
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sounds like the wall was not primed with a mist coat first, you could try a steamer but be very careful not to "pop" the plaster by leaving it in one place for any time too long.

5. tredd

tredd New Member

i dont have a steamer, what about a heat gun? its a low end model with a low and high setting, might try it on low and see if helps.
    could get the kids to do it, just the pieces can be sharp when flake off, proper hurts when they dig in between the nail and skin.. :(

ill pop to b&q too and pick up a decent scrapper.
    once off i will mist coat it first - can i use left over bathroom anti mould paint and water it down for a mist coat?

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Basic matt emulsion is best for a mist coat. I don't think a heat gun will help it's the steam that does the job rather than the heat.

7. Yep, I suspect a heat gun will just burn the paint since it's emulsion type, rather than bubble and lift it.

In any case, imagine heat-gunning the whole wall... :eek:

If the paint seems to come off cleanly by picking at it, then count yourself very lucky. It's not uncommon for wall paint to be very patchy - some flaky and some fully attached. Now that's a sod...

Chose a good scraper - and make sure it is a scraper and not a filling knife. It'll need to have a 'sharpened' edge.

Once you find the correct angle, I think you'll be ok. And watch out for shards of paint slicing the backs of your thumbs as opposed to your nails... (Wear gloves.)

And let us know what the wall surfaces is like before you repaint. It may be you had an a*** of a plasterer who liked to show off how good he was at 'polishing' walls...

8. tredd

tredd New Member

thanks for the replies, ill let you know how i get on. there are a couple patches that are fully stuck, i have picked as much as i can from all around the edges, but the majority of the walls it seems to come off with ease. underneath the plaster feels rough, but in a fine way, like very fine sandpaper. the walls look good though.

9. Hope you get sorted bud :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  10. tredd

tredd New Member

Thanks. I have managed to get 90% off with the scraper. The rest is on there tough so easifilled over the edges and any demts/scratches. Just need to sand it down amd paint now. Then can move in. :)

11. Glad to hear it pal :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015