the right paint to use after removing wall paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by daveo, Sep 25, 2015.

1. daveo

daveo New Member

Hi

I looked through old posts and not 100% sure on what the best approach is.

So I have removed old woodchip paper, washed with sugar soap and rinsed house is about 1920s walls need quite a bit of TLC but happy to spend the time sanding and filling etc, the Wife hates wallpaper in any form so lining is not an option, some of the walls are a little powdery, some have small areas of old paint, would like to seal the walls to prevent any old wall paper residue showing trough and filled areas and give the walls that extra bond to help hold them together better.

step 1 first fill and sand any easily visible high spots

step 2 I was thinking I would give all the walls a coat of watered down emulsion, is there any particular type brand or is the standard B&Q white emulsion ok? have seen all sorts of solutions but I need the most cost effective.

step 3 re fill and sand back

step 4 2xcoats of normal strength emulsion, with light sanding if required

step 5 final colour once we have decide what we would like might be several months once we have moved in!

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't waste you time with water down emulusion, it won't solve your problem.
    Make good the walls, a good fine filler to use is Tourpret Interior filler, SF competitors do it cheaper.
    Then give the walls, even the ceilings if they dusty & old distemper with a coat of 'Everbuild Stablishing Solution 406'.
    It will seal the surface, bind everything, used litres & litres of it here to seal the old ceilings & walls prior to painting them. Should be able to get away with one coat.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=148

Don't know where you are, but hunt around you can find it cheap, about £9 a can.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  3. daveo

daveo New Member

Great thanks, picked something up similar from Travis at the weekend, spent hours sanding and filling so didn't get a chance to apply it tho!

Thanks for the advice

4. Make sure all traces of old paste are removed as it loves to be reactivated with any water-based solution - and swells up. Guess how I know...

Just how bad is the surface, Daveo? If the remaining patches of paint are thick enough, they will show even when over-painted.

KIAB's idea of stabiliser sounds good as the first hassle with such a job is to get what's already there stable and all behaving the same; there's nothing worse than having some bits more absorbent and powdery than other.

What you have to do afterwards will depend on the finish you have. If it's just the odd hollow, raised edge, etc etc, then use of fine filler and sanding will likely sort it. However, if the whole wall is a series of such patches and dodgy areas, you may have to bite t'bullet and over skim the lot using a tub of ready-mixed plaster - I've heard that it's quite nice stuff to use, tho' I haven't tried it myself.

Or, use lining paper. Yes, I know what your wife said, but the idea is that you cannot tell it has been papered - it just gives you a smooth surface.

And if any of the walls are external and you'd want to add a wee bit more insulation to them, you can even use thicker stuff called - arrrgh - I forget. Rockwall?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have so many litres of Everbuild stabilishing liquid here,every room & ceiling, excluding the bathroom has had a coat or two of it.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Buy a 10Kg bag of Siniat or similar 20 min filler. Cost about £15. Fast drying, feathers out beautifully and you can trowel it on easily for larger areas.

7. daveo

daveo New Member

The paint patches are not that thick, I managed to sand all of the walls I filled and get them all pretty smooth, I used toupret filler and did a light skim on the walls and it did the job well, they where pretty straight and even to start just quite a few holes and small hairline cracks to cover.

I am back at the house tomorrow so will start to apply the stabilising solution and see how I get on the following week will be painting, shall I still do a watered down matt coat first?

thanks