The start of a 70's bungalow

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by sneesam, Sep 2, 2016.

1. sneesam

sneesam New Member

So I have just bought a 1970s stone built bungalow. The intention is to build an extension on the back but thought i would post on here and see what people thought about what goes where.
    The main things will be adding an extension to the back. We will go from the back of the garage (if we are allowed) out by 3 meters (to stay within permitted development) and go across the whole back of the lounge with volted roof and bi-fold 3m doors.

We are then going to change the kitchen to a utility room and but the kitchen in the lounge area (next to the current kitchen).

Do we but walls into the current lounge to make a snug and leave the rest as open living area?

have we missed anything?

What do you think for prices?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What is it that you are trying to achieve with alterations. I would do something like this and open up the fireplace in the lounge
    upload_2016-9-2_15-49-47.png

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could make fireplace accessible from both sides, & fit a double sided multi fuel fire.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It would be interesting as well to make the garage a habitable space or move the front door to where the garage opening is. Obviously this would depend on what the outside would look like.

6. sneesam

sneesam New Member

Thanks for everybody's help. It is always good to get other views. We have to keep all 3 bedrooms but love the idea of a 2 sided fire.... just not sure how it would work - it is a really horrid fire place.

7. sneesam

sneesam New Member

Could I ask. The bungalow needs re-plastering, bathroom, kitchen door frames replacing with new doors hanging and re-wiring all done..... where do you start?

My wife's current thinking is not to extend but get all the other jobs done first and then see if we can extend at a later date.

I am of the thought that if we extend there will be plumbers, electricians and plasters on site so the cost will be lower than doing it in bits and pieces.....

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Extend now, nothing worse dirt & dust,even with the best sheeting it gets everywhere, so better to do all the building rewiring, heating & other messy work first before final decorating.

I've done work, only to come back a year later to remove it, knock down to extend the heating, or knock down a wall between two rooms, it's double work, that could have been avoid first time around with a little planning & thought.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  9. sneesam

sneesam New Member

Yeah I hadn't though about the mess.... we have had an initial quote of about 30K for the build and to fit a kitchen and bathroom (we have to provide the kitchen an bathroom), does that sound about right, extension is 20sqm.

It is just the cost of doing it all in 1 go!

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would go an see an architect. They quite often have quite a different views on how to change buildings that most people overlook. They will also indicate any potential pitfalls and rough costs.

Having a definitive set of plans is a good starting point for all building work and the money you pay to architect you will recoup during the project.