The Table..

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by enc, Oct 16, 2016.

1. enc

enc Active Member

trying to "modernise" the dining room table :)

Before ...

table01.jpg table02.jpg tried to

2. enc

enc Active Member

table03.jpg table04.jpg table05.jpg After ...

KIAB likes this.
  3. enc

enc Active Member

is there a way to preserve the look of the sanded pine without it being varnished or waxed ... last time i waxed it yellowed again

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    enc likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or a thinned (50/50) clear matt varnish.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

enc likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Well done! :)

enc likes this.
  7. enc

enc Active Member

Liking the look of this ... saliva and sweat resistant too ... always handy hahaa

8. Bear in mind that water-based ('quick-drying') varnishes have far less yellowing effect on bare timber than oil-based. I think any oil-base varnish will significantly 'yellow' the timber. So I suspect that actual 'oils' ('Danish', linseed etc will also do so).

I think a clear water-based varnish (eg Dulux Diamond Hard) will have the least darkening effect. It'll have some effect, of course, probably like if the timber was wetted. But it won't add any more of that unpleasant (to me at least) yellowing of pine.

Satin finish probably most suitable too.

Very nice sanding job, by the way - it looks very good now :)

enc likes this.
  9. Many moons ago I made some open-tread staircases for ma bro using parana pine which had a lovely grain with amazing pink swathes through it. I wanted to keep it looking like that as much as possible and for it not to 'yellow'.

I read in a magazine (pre-Google days...:() that a white-pigmented varnish by, I think, Rustins could be an answer, so bought a tin. It only had a hint of white in it, and was clearly designed to counter the yellowing effect.

Didn't really work, tbh, as it didn't enhance the grain at all and even slightly subdued it...

enc likes this.
  10. enc

enc Active Member

Looking like I'm fighting a loosing battle then :confused:

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Wife works in a Decorating shop, not one of the sheds (15 years experience), and said water based is a must, Dulux Diamond Glaze clear varnish is what she said is the best even though it still will give it a tiny amount of colour. She said do a test underneath the table first!

Table looks lovely

Deleted member 33931 and enc like this.
  12. As Kool says.

You cannot prevent some darkening - as it it were wet. But water-based's effect will be minimal. And I think you'll actually like it - enhanced grain but with no 'yellow'.