Thermostat positions

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by brian chapman, Dec 9, 2014.

1. brian chapman

brian chapman New Member

RETIREMENT VILLAGE
    2 floors 2 beds 2 bth central hall with gallery. G floor stat at bottom of stairs 1st floor stat on wall at top of stairs
    Both stats Digistat+3
    Problem is bdrms don't get hot as soon as the 1st floor gallery reaches say 20deg the stat is not switching the bdrm circuit on
    this is the reply from the management
    Dear Mr Chapman

Thank you for your email sent yesterday regarding your issues with the heating system in your property.

I understand that you are frustrated with how you perceive the heating system operates, however my attempts yesterday to explain the mechanics were met with inappropriate language from yourself and this is not the first time. Vernal abuse of any kind is not tolerated by Audley and I can advise you that unless you are able to communicate with myself, Audley staff or contractors in a civil fashion we will be unable to resolve any of your issues.

With regards to the heating query, your thermostat upstairs runs completely independently from your downstairs thermostat as they run on two separate heating loops. This means that if you set your thermostat to 20 degrees upstairs and 25 degrees downstairs, this is the heat output that you can expect in that area. This is regardless of whether the doors are open or closed. The thermostat controls the temperature that you input into it and you can programme it according to when you require more or less heat.

You say that you do not believe the bedrooms are being heated to the same temperature as displayed on the thermostat. The action to take is as follows:-

1) Turn up the upstairs thermostat to 25 degrees – or whatever temperature you require.

2) Check that the thermostats (TRVs) on the radiators in each bedroom are turned up to 4 or 5 – this will ensure the radiators reach temperature quicker. This doesn’t have an impact on your heating costs as once the rooms have reached the temperature you have set, it will be maintained. Whether the doors are open or closed, this method will still work as the radiators are contained within the same heating loop.

Please can I ask you to try this and let me know how you get on?

Answers please not using any of my language

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ya just gotta watch that "Vernal abuse" ( I take it he last came to inspect in Spring) ;);)

Anyway, Heat rises !!!! so set the ground floor to 25 C and the heating , heats up the ground floor. The heat rises upstairs. If the heat upstairs is higher than 20 C then your thermostat just isn't going to call for heat is it? It's bound to be cooler upstairs with the temp set lower than the ground floor (heat is lost to the environment as it rises) As the head honcho says, set the temp upstairs to the same as downstairs (or higher if you want, so the heating does kick in) ;);)

3. Mr Chapman, was there really any need to post the whole content of the manager's reply to your query? Not that it's a major problem - after all, it shows you in a worse light than him... But, best, I think, to keep such correspondence off t'net as it is only one side that's seen.

Anyways, it's shooorly as JJ (and the manager) says.

What I don't understand is, where are these 'stats fitted? One is at the bottom of the stairs and the other at the top of the stairs?! Are they both in effectively the same open hallway? Is there a door separating them? If not, that's silly.

I presume the 'stats have a display that shows you if they are 'calling for heat' - ie: 'on'? Well, the next time your bedrooms are not warm enough, check to see if the upstairs 'stat (I'm guessing your bedrooms are upstairs?) is 'on' and - if so - just turn up your TRV valves in the bedrooms. Your rads should heat up.

If, however, the upstairs 'stat isn't on when the bedrooms are too cool (ie - if that 'stat thinks it's all warm enough already) then tweak it up a degree at a time until it goes 'click' and comes on. Then check your bedroom temps after 10 minutes (again opening the TRVs if necessary; they should be at roughly 3 or 4 on a scale of 5 if you want the room warm)

If this works - and I suspect it will - then please write to the manager of your accommodation explaining and apologising. And post your whole letter on here... :rolleyes:

4. brian chapman

brian chapman New Member

Yes both in the same hall in full view of each other it is open with a galleried landing and a radiator at the bottom of the stairs heating the hall and landing-----doors to the bedrooms are 4 metres away
    Yes your comment is correct " It is silly".
    Juggling with temperatures is not the answer. Standing listening to someone so full and sure they know what they are taking about is enough to:; $@.... I suggested he speaks to a heating engineer but received the above reply
    As I am not one i was hoping to get a reply on this forum from an Expert Witness to prove my case.
    I am aware of the answer--to move the stat or replace it with a wireless device positioned in one of the bedrooms but it's not for me to tell him as he was not receptive . Perhaps I did get a little exasperated but who wouldn't

5. Ah, I see... Yep, as daft as I feared. The upstairs is effectively just a warmer version of the downstairs :(

If the only real issue is that the bedrooms aren't getting warm enough, then the simple solution is the tweak up the upstairs 'stat to the point where it's definitely on, and then rely on your bedroom TRVs to control the heat. Having said that, the downside is that the upstairs will be supplied by the boiler even when the TRVs have closed down due to the rooms being warm enough...

You are absolutely right that having the 'stat inside one of the bedrooms is the 'correct' solution, but then you'd have to open the TRV in that room to 'max' so they don't shut down at all - the stat then does the controlling. But bear in mind that with this 'correct' solution, the temp in the stat's bedroom will also effectively control the temp in t'other bedroom.

Don't get cross with the nice man tho'... :oops:

6. brian chapman

brian chapman New Member

As I read it, there are two options
    Leave as is and juggle the temperature, adjust TRVs in each BDRM and leave it to the boiler stat to turn off as the higher temp would not be satisfied by the stat on the landing Would this not then have the effect of not allowing downstairs to be controlled by its stat?
    Or put stat in a bdrm and after a few nights adjust TRVs to equate the temperatures in the bdrms. (thinking)...............Would suggest stat be in largest or the coldest room???

7. Hmm, good point. If you left the upper stat set high so that the bedrooms always received hot water from the boiler and then control each bedroom using TRVs, then - as you say - the boiler will stay 'on' and just 'cycle' on and off to meet demand - a bit wasteful.

And, again as you say, if the upper stat has the boiler running because of this, then the bottom stat ain't going to be able to turn off the boiler because of this!

So, yep, the best solution is to have the stat in the main bedroom - the larger or harder to heat one.

These are prog stats? When are the bedrooms programmed to be 'on'? If it's just the late eve and early morns, is it really a hassle the way it's set at the moment?

However, if you do want fully controllable heating up there, then - yes - your thinking is spot-on as far as I can see.

8. brian chapman

brian chapman New Member

9. I love it when peeps chust repeat what I've said. Makes me feel awesome... :rolleyes:

10. We all think you're awsome DA :eek:
    Honest!

11. You need to get a life.

Or you can stay and repeat what you said.

Makes no difference to me.

Honest...

12. PLEEEEEEEZ STAY!!!