Thermostatic radiator valves

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by AshMiah, Dec 19, 2014.

1. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

I recently had a new boiler installed and some TRV's put on the heaters. The plumber mentioned it didn't matter which end the valves where put on, so he put some on the flow side and some on the return side.
    I asked whether it will effect the balancing of the rads when I try and control the return valve to ensure there is an even temperature on all rads thoughout the house. He insisted there would be no issues?
    Can you advise if this was the correct advise or indeed if there are TRV's which can be put on either end?
    If the above is true, how do I balance the rads where the TRV is placed on the return side?
    Thx in advance.
    Ash

2. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Look on the metal body for some arrows. If there are two, at 90°, then the TRV can go on either end and any way round, i.e vertical or horizontal. If there is only one arrow, it can still go on either end but the arrow must point in the direction of flow (towards rad on flow, away from rad on return). This means the head will be vertical on one end and horizontal the other end.

As for balancing, you do it exactly the same, whichever end the TRV is on - adjust the lockshield valve so you get the same temperature drop across all rads. Just remember to remove all TRV heads first and, as a starting point, set all LS valves about 1/3rd turn open from closed. Any adjustments should be very small and time must be left for the adjustment to take effect.

AshMiah likes this.
  3. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

Most of my rad piping in under the floor boards , so i'm not sure how to tell exactly which pipe is the flow and which is the return.
    I'm currently just feeling the pipe that gets warmest first to be the flow and therefore the other side to be the return, can I take this to be a rule for the flow and return directions of the rad?

And are there any other methods I can adopt?

4. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

10/10!!

AshMiah likes this.