Thermostatic showers running hot then cold

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rmaddock, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Rmaddock

Rmaddock New Member

Hello

Looking at any help!

We have a Powermax 155x boiler and off it we have two mixer showers. Both are Sirrus Stratus showers which have been in the house since it was built 15 years ago.

With both showers now we have a brief period of hot water and then the showers run cold.

The boiler has just been serviced and the engineer suggests that the return valves have both gone in the showers and new mixer showers should solve the problem.

We fitted up an old mixer shower that my father in law had and it ran without any issues. I think this was a manual mixer shower.

We therefore bought a new thermostatic mixer shower - Bristan Opac Mini- and fitted that up but the old issue returned.

Any ideas on what we can do?

2. Hi 'Dock.

These two showers became faulty at exactly the same time?

And was this following the boiler's servicing, or did you chust bring it to the service guy's attention when he came out to service yer boiler?

The new thermostatic shower you fitted - the Opac - works on a wide range of pressures, so it can't be that issue.

To me there is only one obvious cause (other than blocked filters, inlets etc), and that's that the hot supply temp ain't hot enough. It has to be at least 10oC hotter than the shower temp you are after, but also with many thermostatic showers it has to be at a min temp before the therm unit functions properly.

Your incoming cold mains will be a few degrees colder at the mo', so the first thing I'd try is tweaking up the DHW control on yer boiler - if it has one - for a hotter hot flow.

See if that works.