These new fangled patio stone grouts

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Apr 3, 2012.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Having just finished a 30m2 patio using Indian sandstone (very nice too even if I say so myself!) I was getting ready for the tedious job of mortering in the grout. Then I discovered there's a whole new world of "Sweep-on" resin based grouting products - (e.g. Cementone wide gap filler, Romex and Easyjoin. Some need to be applied dry and kept dry until set, some (e.g. Easyjoin) need to be wetted at all stages of grouting. Does anyone have any experiences of these grouts (especially bad experiences) and could recommend one?

Thanks for any advice (even if its "stay with mortar"!)

diymostthings

2. Your better of with tradional mortar.
    Get yourself 2 pointing guns, get the mix nice and fatty, plenty of feb, while your running along the joints have someone filling the second gun ready.
    When its drying run the brick trowel through the top to take of any excess then run the jointer/trowel over.

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks Cotswold Builders - yes I was wondering that "if it seems to good to be true it probably is". How do you stop the mortar staining the slabs? - or do you accept it and try to clean up as you go? Can you use fairy liquid instead of feb? Sorry over all the questions but you obviously know what you're talking about!

diymostthings

4. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Don't use Fairy - use the proper stuff. It is cheap enough to buy. You stop staining by not letting the mortar touch the slabs.

5. Fairy stays in the kitchen, ( for the wife ) it kills the mortar, use feb.

To avoid staining, dont do pointing in wet weather, slabs need to be dry, and as I previously said fill the joints with the gun holding it tightish to the slabs, youll get the hang of it, if you get any overspill leave it to set a bit then as said, run the brick trowel along the joints at an angle cutting of any excess mortar.
    Run jointer over, leave any overspill to dry a bit more then soft broom over the slabs.