Thin door linings

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by LEH, May 30, 2017.

1. LEH

LEH Active Member

Hi all,

I got 5 upstairs internal doors and linings that I want to rip out and replace. Reason being, 1. the linings were fire damaged then painted over so not in a good way, 2. the existing doors are also in a bad way from misuse and never being painted and also hung in a completely bodged fashion, 3. they're storey frames so I want to frame, board and plaster over where the 'glazing' is (thin sheet of perspex).

Most of the door openings are formed in a corner between two stud walls, so one jamb is on the end of the wall and the other on the side of the end, if that's clear. One is from the side at the end of a wall to perpendicular to a wall. Rough opening looks about 820mm, and door linings 27.5mm thick, all good so far. But all the linings are only 56mm wide, and I can't figure out why that would be. I'm only familiar with normal studs that would give the thicknesses sold as kits, which are obviously about double that. So what gives? It's a 70s house if that helps...

I suppose I'll have to rip down linings to that size but I would like to know why first.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

56mm!:eek: barely enough for doorstop.

3. LEH

LEH Active Member

Door stops are currently quad beading...

4. You probably have laminated partitions which are 2" thick and used quite a lot in the 70's.
    It will not be paramount as they are thicker than 2".

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One of the weird things from the 70's, & back in fashion again.

6. LEH

LEH Active Member

Oh lordy, that sounds fun. Any suggestions on the best plan of action?

I was going to re-do the bathroom too, which just happens to be tiled onto such a wall. Gulp...

7. LEH

LEH Active Member

Thinking more about this - are these partition walls going to be able to support solid-core doors? (About 28 kg each) ?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can always screw a layer of plywood onto one of the wall surfaces to strengthen the framework, wider lining can be used then.