Thinking of buying a house - advise

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by chrismitch, Dec 9, 2016.

1. chrismitch

chrismitch New Member

Hi there,

I am looking at buying a house (see pictures below) and I don't know if I should. You see the bunch of drilled holes at the top of the front window, as well as on the back window? There is also a bunch of brick damage. Both of those things make it look like a leak happened at this place or there is a structural problem or something, but I have no experience with this. The people selling the place said they bought it like that so they don't know either. I think they could be lying, I don't want to get a house that had a bad leak or something.

TLDR: what is the deal with the brick damage and holes above the windows?

Any advice is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

This in the uk ?

3. chrismitch

chrismitch New Member

Hi b4xtr, no it is in Ontario, Canada.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at first photo, big window cill looks cracked, so that leak has been a long term problem.
    Could end up with a money pit to sort out,if it was me, I would walk away from it, you have no idea what other problems/horrors you may find.

And we are a UK forum.:)

5. chrismitch

chrismitch New Member

Oops, sorry guys I missed that it is UK only. Thank you for the advice KIAB, I agree with you. Have a good day!

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its ok I live in Wales in the UK, very much like Canada, great people, lots of natural resources, mountains, lakes etc. Only problem are the neighbours :D

In terms of the house the holes above the window to are to let water drain out from the lintel above the window. The staining on the wall looks like it is being caused by the white siding. It looks like the siding front and back has been installed without a proper drip edge. So any rainwater runs down the siding onto the brickwork and is washing salts out of the cement.

Looking at the top window in the first picture the siding has been put on too thick around the window and their is no window cill or trim around the window.

Probably not a difficult job to fix - could Mike Holmes pop out and have a look, he is local ;)