Thinking of taking on plumbing as a career, could I get some advice?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by graphpaper, Jan 8, 2015.

1. graphpaper

graphpaper New Member

I'm thinking of taking up plumbing as a career. I've done a bit of research regarding the requirements (experience, license) but I wanted some insight on your experiences.

-How long did it take for you to find a job at a company?

-Was it difficult to complete your apprenticeship hours? How long did it take?

-Is it realistic to think about going independent right away?

Thank you for your time! I'd appreciate any insight.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

things are differant now when i started, I left skool at 15 and started a indentured apprenticeship for a local firm, it was a 5 year deal and included weekly days at tech collage, during that time I had a mentor/s who watched my work and advised accordlingly , Thats the best way do go about it and no one will disagree on that, Its reckoned that from starting out to becoming a competent tradesman 10 years hands on is whats required even with a 5 year apprenticeship, So anything less is 'fasttrack', there are loads of fastrackers out there and some work for a cheap rate to gain experiance, others charge full rate + to recoupe the price of fast track training, So beware the minefield you are about to enter, ;)

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Bit like Tom I went into the industry at 16 as a British Gas Apprentice. That was a four year apprenticeship with college and working on the district with a mentor, that was back in the seventies when the gas board was the best training you could get.
    My son did the four year NVQ as an apprentice like Tom sponsored by a local company.
    There are many fast track schemes out there, some good some not so good. It's a great trade to work in, every day is different and sometimes frustrating.
    My advice is to go for it find out for yourself but don't expect to be good at it any time soon, like all skill it takes time and practice. If you try and go on your own unless your exceptional you will most likely fail. Even today we all learn something new you need to build up a network of guys you can ask advice. And even give advice, a plumbers merchant first thing in the morning is a great place for that. Even if you start and change your mind you'll have some skills for life that you can't unlearn.

4. Go onto Youtube and look for electrician v plumber!