Third party router collet question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Apollo11, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Apollo11

Apollo11 New Member

I recently purchased the Erbauer ERB380ROU 2100W router from Screwfix. Whilst it's not top-end, it seems a reasonable router for the price. However, the one big problem I have found with it is that the 1/2" to 1/4" collet adapter doesn't grip 1/4" router cutters very firmly. They appear to be secure, but as soon as you power it up, the cutter comes loose (and could be dangerous!). I bought a third party collet adapter which I think is marginally better, but still not great. What I think it needs is a dedicated 1/4" collet (not an adapter). As the 1/2" collet appears to be "trapped" within the supplied collet nut, it would also need a new nut for the 1/4" collet. Does anyone know if such collet/nut assemblies are a standard fit/thread and, if so, can anyone recommend a suitable one for this router?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't buy home brand rubbish.

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Good advice Chippie. :D

4. Apollo11

Apollo11 New Member

Thanks for your considered replies gents... Given that I already have the router, I was hoping for something a little more helpful.

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Apologies for being flippant.I have a small Makita router,which has 1/4 & 3/8 collets. I must confess that I have never used a 3/8 router bit. If you have only recently purchased the router, then chuck it back to Screwfix if you are not happy with it & buy something else.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. Apollo11

Apollo11 New Member

Thanks Malkie and KIAB. I did look at the Makita, but am intrigued by the 3/8" collet. I already have an old Bosch 1/4" but it's only 600W. I understood (perhaps wrongly) that I needed a 1/2" router for 38mm worktops (and also somewhere in the region of 2000W of power). I've never come across 3/8" router cutters and with only 900W of power, that's why I discounted the Makita. I agree, at £135, it would be a good alternative to what I bought, but only if it can do what I need of it.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Certianly do need 1/2" router for worktop, mainly for the power, length of cutter & it's diameter, but as you made no mention in 1st post about routing worktop, then we didn't know your needs.
    Quite a range of 8mm routing bits available, I prefer them, due to increased shank diameter, compared to 1/4".