This amused me very much...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 7, 2015.

1. but, when you think about it, it should come as no surprise.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study

To sum up, religious children - sorry, I mean children brought up in religious families - are less generous, less kind and more inclined to suggest more punitive punishments than their secular counterparts.

It also comes as no surprise that their parents think that their godly children are the opposite of this - that they are more altruistic towards others. Nope.

Religious doctrine can go fluff itself. Even as a fantasy - which it is - it has no benefit. In fact it seems to make children less moral.

Ho-bludy-hum.

chippie244 likes this.
  2. "The numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid."

So those religions get tarred with the same brush?

Media media media.

3. Hi CPM.

If you read the article, it says that "The numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid."

You know what that means? Yes, it means that the numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid.

Which is the scientifically correct - and honest - way of saying that the numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid.

And you have an issue with this? Hmmmm....

As it happens, there have been around - ooh - 1,000+ gawds/religions invented by mankind (with emphasis on 'man'), so if you want to try and suggest that the few you cite are somehow different, then go ahead.

Try.

And fail.

All religious beliefs are the same.

Man-made.

4. I don't think it is fair to say that all religions are the same. A huge population of this world is 'religious' and they quite clearly all have different lifestyles. Besides, if those religions were too small to be statically valid, then why are they included on every form one has to fill in when they are asked to specify religion and not the other 1'000's you mention?

5. Oh and they surveyed 1,200 people so tar billions around the world with the same brush?

I have seen plenty ***t builders, so they are all ***t

6. What are you trying to say, CPM?

Is there a 'good' religion out there? One that makes us more human?

7. I'm not being overly sensitive - just discussing the matter. Could raise this with any media article really.

This one makes you believe that all religions are the same, then counting out a handful of religions, then saying they only studied 1,200 people - compared to billions who are religious...

8. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

And at the bottom of the article...

[​IMG] :rolleyes:

9. Pleased you want a discussion on this, CPM.

I don't think the article actually says "...that all religions are the same." anywhere, and of course they are not all the same.

Islam is by far the worst 'cos it's more fundamental, is indoctrinated from the earliest stage, and cites the penalty for leaving is as 'death'.

Catholicism is snapping at its heels due to the sheer guilt it obliges you to feel, as well as being insignificant in front of the almighty gawd.

Mormonism is brilliant - it's completely nutty, yet all its adherents seem to be the nicest people possible - you simply cannot wind them up!

Then there's Buddhism which is nice and cuddly.

Then there are the real freak shows like the world will end in x months, so let's have lots of sex. And then kill ourselves.

Such diversity - yet they are all sh**.

Complete and utter.

They remove your intellectual honesty and integrity.

10. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Dev, you do realise how many thousands of views someone like you gets? Yeah? Of course you bludy do.
    You gotta stop being bitter Dev. You gotta step back and ALLOW people to believe whatever they wanna believe.
    Its not upto you Dev what others choose to think. You don't have that say.
    If it helps, I agree with you! I really do :)
    Your not even acting like a leader anymore though Dev :( its like its all about you now which I find hard to imagine but ...

11. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

I love you to bits Dev, but you can come across as the most patronising condescending son of a ...
    But I don't think that's really you at all.
    I think you'd help anyone given half a chance, I don't think you'd really think twice about who they were, what they were, where they came from, what they believed in etc. That's why I love you Vishenka_11.gif

12. Blimey - soz, Miss P - I hadn't realised you'd posted on here... :oops:

Anyways, to answer you:

People are entitled to believe what they want, and that includes having religious beliefs. We live in a free society (which, of course, Islamic nuts are trying to end).

People are not, however, entitled to force their beliefs on to anyone else. And that is what is currently happening in the world of religion.

They get a 'say' in central and local politics purely because they have 'faith'.

Religious organisations get tax breaks!

They are allowed to have schools set up in their name - jeeezzuzz kryst.

They expect to be treated with 'respect' because they have a 'faith'.

(Faith means you are capable of believing anything, regardless of how idiotic it is, regardless of there being not a shred of evidence to support their view, and regardless of there insurmountable evidence to the opposing views - natural selection, for instance, or the 'big bang'. Yes, they think they are entitled to 'respect' for being an idiotic fool.)

They shout "I'm offended!" if anyone says anything against their religion.

And they try and claim there can be no morals without religious faith.

The day that religious folk keep their views to themselves and to like-minded folk and leave the rest of us alone, and not demand special treatment, and especially NOT indoctrinate our children, then I'll certainly - happily - stop calling them to f'off.

But I'll still call them 'twits'.

13. ...and this thread has only had a couple of hundred views... :oops:

14. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

I'm viewing it...:)

15. My work here is done... :)