Thorn Apollo 30/50B

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Callwaybandit, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Callwaybandit

Callwaybandit New Member

Have the above gas boiler about 15/20 years old, the GC No:- 41 789 54, the problem is that the boiler stay's on when the timer has turned off via the 24 hr clock and also the the room thermo-stat will not turn off boiler also. The only way the boiler switches off is from the mains isolator or the thermostat high and low control panel situated bottom right under the boiler, any idea's??

2. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

sounds like a motorised valve that is stuck in the open position,
    change valve or if you can change the synchron motor inside the head of the valve

3. Yes - pleased stop using necessary '''s. (That's an inverted comma betwixt two inverted commas to point out that what I was referring to was an inverted comma.)

Your boiler seems to be getting a signal to keep on runnin' from somewhere, and that is probably a stuck micro-switch if you have motorised valves, or perhaps a faulty timer/programmer.

What kind of system do you have - a hot storage cylinder?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

eh :confused:

anyrode, I agree its a problem with the clock or valve, you need a mulimeter to find out which,

5. Callwaybandit

Callwaybandit New Member

The boiler is gravity feed and yes upstairs in the airing cupboard there is a hot storage cylinder which can also be heated by an emersion heater element.

6. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

He forgot one!

"the boiler switches off is from the mains (sic) isolator"

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

You getting a feed from a faulty external control or PCB

8. Callwaybandit

Callwaybandit New Member

Thanks to everyone for replying, it was the motorizised valve in the airing cupboard, stripped it down and gave it a good clean and sprayed with WD40, any ideas how much one of these valves would cost and where to purchase??

9. Callwaybandit

Callwaybandit New Member

Again thanks for your help will look into getting new item, cheers,

10. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Hi all,
    I have an ancient Thorn Apollo 30/50B boiler, (keeps going so i am loathe to shell out for a new one) GC No is 41 789 54, i do not have the serial number. I am being told by my plumber i need a sight glass / sight glass assembly & a pilot assembly with built in ignitor. I have tried on the web to no avail at the moment. I could potentially use a local glass company to make the sight glass to the right spec' maybe?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to anyone who can supply both of these please?

Many thanks in advance.

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Probably obsolete and the glass has to be heat resistant and there is also a gasket to seal it. If your using the boiler with a cracked glass you are putting yourself and family at risk. These boilers are room sealed boilers and are designed to run with the case intact. With the broken glass there is the potential for excess air to alter the Air/Gas ratio required for complete combustion which if not correct will result in carbon monoxide being produced.

12. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your reply. The boiler isn't running at the moment. I will make sure the glass will be the correct spec' as regards to heat resistance. Ideally i would like to source original poem parts.

Thanks

13. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

that should be oem parts!