Thorn Apollo boiler problem, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by thekitchendesigner, Jan 8, 2006.

1. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

Kimbers64,sound like a boiler overheat problem to me you could try linking out the overheat stat or it could be your pump that is on its way out and you are not getting enough water flow though the boiler,has anybody altered any gate valves in your cylinder cupboard ie bypass or pump valves these can make a difference

2. Kimbers64

Kimbers64 New Member

Can any of you recommend a good new combi boiler please? One that will last a long time. Thanks

Kimberley

3. Kimbers64

Kimbers64 New Member

Sorry forgot to say my boiler is Myson Apollo boiler. The corgi plumber that I've always used to service it is hopefully coming on Saturday and although he has said he does not want to waste time trying this and that and having me spend out of various parts that wont make any effect I will have him check the overheat thing, he told me last Wednesday when he did the service the pump is working great, the temperature control in the living is switching on and off as it should, he replaced the thermacouple but said it was definitely not that which was causing the problem. He has not said about a good make of Combi Boiler hopefully I can trust him not to put a rubbish one in that wont last. He also said about flushing the system takes a day cleaning out the sluge build up and he said that would have to be done before installing a new boiler anyway and I've taken your advice about checking the rads upstairs for air and water also will have him do that if he can get to me on Saturday, he's doing a two day new boiler install for another family.

I saw about the warmfront on Watchdog the other week I could check that out also but sounds risky if you get the wrong guy come and install one if he installs it properly like the showed on the Watchdog programme.

Thanks

Kimberley

4. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

No offence to your plumber but there really shouldn't be any need to try this then try that!

If he knows what he's doing he should be diagnosing the problem before changing any parts.

This is a relatively simple boiler and a series of simple tests will isolate the problem.

5. Kimbers64

Kimbers64 New Member

Thanks Oliver, my ex-partner has said the same that when he did the service last week he should have found the problem but he just said he's seen this before fitted new parts and not found the problem. He said on the phone today that he's really not got the time or the inclination to keep coming to find what is causing it, it's time for a new boiler. My ex-partner is not happy that he left last Wednesday having only done the service and replaced new Thermacouple and did not diagnose the problem and left me and my 6 year old son without hot water and no heating cause he could not diagnose the problem. He spent 1 and 3/4 hours doing the service with his apprentice. When he left he had it on high and heating and hot water switch on in airing cupboard, it worked fine til the following morning when it clicked off and I could not get the pilot light to ignite immediately, then I did but it just went out after 5 minutes of heating and water running, tried it again only hot water on and still switched itself off and pilot light went out after 5 mintues and the boiler front was very hot. Yet guy I watched him checking it for over heating and getting too hot but he also said that if sluge build up that would give false temp reading. Being on my own with my 6 year old son I don't know it all but I expect him to be honest and diagnose it and fix it if he can.

6. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

To be honest Kimbers the problem could be any number of things.

I really think you should take Dicks advice and call around a few RGIs who have experince with this particular boiler.

I suspect the problem is electrical and related to the overheat stat that is wired in series with the thermocouple. A good boiler chap will be able to positively test this with nothing more than a 10 quid digital multimeter and a bit of nouse. (in fairness he should have done that with the thermocouple before replacing it as well)

Bloody cowboys!

7. Kimbers64

Kimbers64 New Member

Thanks Oliver, will call a couple of other RGIs tomorrow I have a card of a friend's one which we had come out once few years back when this guy was away. Off to bed now and I'll let you know what happens. Thank you.

Kimberley

8. silversurfer$$

silversurfer$$ New Member

Easy problem really guys

Firstly check the pilot flame is nice crisp and tight.

Secondally the the thermocouple which is a special will generate aprox 25mv this can be checked by testing at the first terminal on the limit stat in relation to ground (boiler chassis) then if this is ok check the other side of the limit stat often you will see a lower mv reading typically 10 - 15 mv this is because the limit stat has over time built up a resistance. If mv readings are good both sides and the pilot is still going out or not holding then suspect the gas valve.
    (if a lower reading on terminal no 2 change limit stat)

If pilot outage always happens if opperation then try turning to high or low as one of the stats may be faulty and causing an over heat situation changing to the other stat may indicate this.

If pilot outage happens only after shut down of the programer then suspect the pump over run thermostat.

If the boiler bangs and the pilot goes out immediatly when you call for a heating or hw then check the pump is operating.

Very basic boiler should be an easy fix dont chuck it away yet.

Ps im in wiltshire but trowbrige is a little to far

j

9. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

There you go Kimbers, you need someone like the SilverSurfer who knows the importance of actually testing things before changing random components!

If only they were all like that!

10. silversurfer$$

Cheers oliver

11. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Cheers oliver

To be honest Silversurfer I'm not an RGI I'm a spark but I have acouple of mates who are RGI's and they sometimes get me in to help diagnose problems with the elctrical side of boilers.

You see it in my field as well, people changing random parts until they drop lucky or change the whole thing at the clients expense. Anyone can do that, it makes me mad.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned diagnostice and a bit of thought?

Not that hard is it?

Thanks Silversurfer, repect to you!

12. silversurfer$$

Hey Oliver

RGI means not a lot really when it comes to repairing boilers most are installing 80% of the time and so when it comes to a boiler fault given the amount of different boilers out there its not going to be easy when your only looking at a couple of break downs a month. I think you really need to be fixing them all the time to have a good understanding. I would say a spark would have better chance at fixing a modern boiler than a rgi who mainly just installs as alot of faults are electrical ie switches thermisters and such like.

I sometimes work with an old boy spark who also likes to dable in electronics. He has taught me so much more than the rgi's i did my apprentership with half of them thinking a multimeter was a neon screwdriver.

Also there is a lot of people who just dont give a toss, its all down to personality, like yourself i want to be good at what i do and do a nice job.

Keep up the good work oliver

j

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I agree, I was alwyas better at installing than fault finding when I did boilers ;)...although I have got better as the years have rolled by.

I have a mate who is a Spark and he is brilliant at CH controls, boiler diagnostics etc, all the local engineers use him for boiler and controls elec faults.

14. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

I suppose the irony is that to be good at boiler repairs you need to have a bit of electrical knowledge and a lot of gas knowledge and not many people have both.

The main thing is that the customer is safe and to be fair an RGI that fails to diagnose an electrical fault in a boiler isn't likely to endanger a customer unless he leaves an overheat stat shorted.

Boilers are getting very complex and Y plan etc does get some getting your head around!

15. rome60

rome60 New Member

Have"nt had time to read all the posts on this one,but think the boiler must be 20 + years old.Time for a change :(:(

16. Kimbers64

Kimbers64 New Member

Thanks Silversurfer. I'm in Swindon and have another Corgi plumber and heating man coming tomorrow morning he's a friend of a friend and hopefully he'll be able to diagnose and fix it for the time being or not!

Kimberley

17. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Thanks Silversurfer. I'm in Swindon and have another
    Corgi plumber and heating man coming tomorrow morning
    he's a friend of a friend and hopefully he'll be able
    to diagnose and fix it for the time being or not!

Kimberley

Let us know how you get on Kimbers

18. silversurfer$$

No worries just post if you have any trouble as im also in swindon. wont be back on this pc untill tuesday although to be honest its an easy fault and there are some pretty good heating guys around here so hopefully all should be good.

Cheers

j

19. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Pilot interupter,thermocouple or gas valve ;)

20. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

..........or pump over-run stat, HI or LO stat.

Very good advice by 'the silverbumsniffer'', mind you you'll need 10 hands to; hold in the button on the gas valve, hold your multi-meter and probes???!! Perhaps you could ask a friend to assist, if you have one???