Thorn Apollo boiler problem, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by thekitchendesigner, Jan 8, 2006.

1. silversurfer$$

silversurfer$$ New Member

I use crocodile clips it makes the job easy but yes if you dont have them them its very tricky.

cheers

j

2. To quote Tetleyman

Kimbers64,sound like a boiler overheat problem to me
    you could try linking out the overheat stat or it
    could be your pump that is on its way out and you are
    not getting enough water flow though the boiler,has
    anybody altered any gate valves in your cylinder
    cupboard ie bypass or pump valves these can make a
    difference

3. OOPS

Meant to preview, not submit, the post above.

Anyway, to bypass (or link out) the overheat thermostat is a contravention of the Gas Safety Regulations. If you pilot keeps going out, a good service engineer will be able to resolve the issue without too much fuss or expense.

HTH

Th Happy Heating Engineer

4. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

I cant beleive this post, I could have fixed this boiler, properly, quicker than the time taken to read through all the replies.
    If the engineer cant fix this boiler he shouldnt be working on boilers, how does he go on if he gets something a bit complicated like a combi not working, etc .
    thorn appollo ?? tc lead £5, o/heat stat £5 clean pilot £0 (svc) finally gas valve thermo electric valve £10 , all parts on my van, labour £65 , job done in an hour, high / low stat can be elliminated by trying 1 then the other.

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

OOPS

Meant to preview, not submit, the post above.

Anyway, to bypass (or link out) the overheat
    thermostat is a contravention of the Gas Safety
    Regulations.

He is on about testing it to find the fault. The Apollo is decent little economical to run boiler. All parts available and it is simple.

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Christ it's good to see they let you out again WS, I guess the medication kicked in then eh??

You take it easy fella, don't go off on one, as you know it'll end in tears.

7. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Effing hell! That holiday hangover is still affecting you. Jockos and whiskey - terrible combination. They can't take their drink I tell you!

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

The English and their poor English, I tell you.

9. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

Thanks Water Systems you could see were i was coming from linking out overheat stat it was not ment as a repair it was to see if that was the problem

10. Old Boiler Owner

Old Boiler Owner New Member

Does anyone know a good plumber down Glastonbury way (Somerset) that could have a go at fixing mine that's got the same problem?

My Thorn Apollo's pilot light goes out intermittently and will stay lit for anything between 2 minutes and 2 months. Bit annoying when you wake up to a freezing house...

Our local plumber said the boiler's too old and knackered and would need replacing (and re-siting) at a cost of say £8,000. (Yes, eight thousand pounds!)

Gulp!!

Repair would be infinitely preferable...

I tried calling Northwest Gas Services (post of Sept 13, 2005) and they were very helpful but it's a bit far for them to come from Liverpool!

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

11. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

£8000 ???? I'll come down from manchester and fit you a new boiler for £6K tomorrow.

12. Old Boiler Owner

Old Boiler Owner New Member

Heh heh heh...

:)

My local plumber couldn't believe it either!

Not surprisingly we're planning on keeping this little baby running as long as possible.

:-S

Does anyone know if it's possible to pressurize a Thorn Apollo with an expansion vessel?

We're getting knocking problems (very loud clanging and banging) and one local chappie thought it'd help eliminate air in the system...

13. darindaymusic

darindaymusic New Member

Hi this is the same problem that I have. Thorn emi apollo model.i think it's the original boiler from when the house was built in the 80's. Pilot light gone out. Don't stay on when I press the gas valve in. It manes a noise when I put the electric on like a whale.

14. Not the real Darin Day...?

cough

Anyways, good move looking for existing threads on this subject first, but - really - it's best if you start a brand new one with a heading that explains the issue; "Thorn Apollo - pilot light doesn't stay lit" or summat.

(Peeps hating having to go through multi-page old threads...)

Anyways, could be as simple as the thermocouple, but let's see what Gassy people say.

15. malcolm thorpe

malcolm thorpe New Member

ive had same problem several times in past always resulted in thermal coupling being replaced it is a safety mechanism last time it was replace we had 2 other parts replaced also been fine ever since

16. malcolm thorpe

malcolm thorpe New Member

ive got hammer knock which i believe is pos caused by over heating at the boiler causing pressure in the system is there a bleed valve for the cold water supply on the boiler it is an thorn emi apollo about 30 yrs old